Linn County News
Published July 28, 2021
William Jackie Simons, Jr., age 73, died peacefully at home in Mound City, Kan., on July 22, 2021.
Jack was born on Feb. 20, 1948, in Fort Scott, Kan., to William Jack Simons, Sr. and Welcome Irene “Becky” Floyd Simons. The family soon relocated to Santa Paula, Calif., where they managed a lemon and avocado farm. Jack graduated from Santa Paula High School in 1966, and worked for his parents and in oil fields before moving back to Kansas in 1973.
He met Cheryl Higgins of Prescott, Kan., and they married in 1974. She survives of the home. They have three children, Jacob (Fara) of Mound City, Abigail Fern (Mark) of Pittsburg, Kan., and Joshua of Denver, Colo.; and four grandsons, Schuyler, Webb, Carson, and Beck.
Jack started work at the Rural Electric Cooperative in 1974, becoming a lineman. He worked for Westar Energy as a journeyman lineman starting in 1990, retiring in 2007.
Jack was preceded in death by his parents; his sisters Connie Seabolt and Jeannie Davis; his brother Clay Simons; and his in-laws, Mick and Opal Higgins.
Before suffering a stroke in 2012, Jack lived a colorful and active life. He had endless energy to help his children, family, neighbors, and friends with any project at any time. He and Cheryl worked hard to make their rural home a gathering place for all, and he leaves behind a large and devoted group of family and friends. Jack was the life of the party, loved music and riding his motorcycle, and found humor in most things in life.
A drop-in celebration of life and visitation will be held Monday, July 26 from 4 – 6 p.m. at Schneider Funeral Home in Mound City, Kan. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to Concern in Mound City, or a charity of your choice. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Dean Brown, age 91, a resident of Fulton, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, August 10, 2022, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. He was born Oct. 7, 1930, in Uniontown, Kan., the son of Durward “Duke” Brown and Pearl... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Arthur Carl Hetzke, age 91, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug., 10, 2022. He was born on Aug. 5, 1931, in Newton, Kan., the son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Breck) Hetzke. He served his country in the United States Air Force... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 William John Adair, Sr., age 74, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Visitation will be held from... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Two of three rodeo horses were killed or had to be put down following an accident early Saturday morning. Undersheriff Bobby Johnson said that rodeo performer Donald Culpepper, Poulan, Ga., had made a make-shift electric fence for his horses at the Linn County Fairgrounds.... [More]
The city of Parker will be contacting Linn County about concrete surfacing assistance at an intersection that receives heavy truck traffic. At last Thursday’s monthly council meeting, Mayor Cody Adams responded to a patron complaint that asphalt surfacing at the intersection... [More]
Approves a change to the tax incentive program The Pleasanton City Council took several policies and policy changes under consideration at their Aug. 15 meeting. The first of these policies is the Neighborhood Culvert Replacement Program (NCRP) which would grant... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Farm Bureau Association hosted the annual pedal pull for kids age 4 to 12 at the Linn County fairgrounds on the evening of Aug. 12. Trophies were given to the top three pullers in each age group along with the opportunity to compete in the Kansas State Pedal... [More]
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks fish biologist Don George once again assisted with hosting the annual fishing derby at the Linn County fairgrounds on the morning of Aug. 13. Like in the past, the derby was divided into three age groups, 4-7, 8-10, and 11-16. Awards... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org