Linn County News
Published July 28, 2021
William Jackie Simons, Jr., age 73, died peacefully at home in Mound City, Kan., on July 22, 2021.
Jack was born on Feb. 20, 1948, in Fort Scott, Kan., to William Jack Simons, Sr. and Welcome Irene “Becky” Floyd Simons. The family soon relocated to Santa Paula, Calif., where they managed a lemon and avocado farm. Jack graduated from Santa Paula High School in 1966, and worked for his parents and in oil fields before moving back to Kansas in 1973.
He met Cheryl Higgins of Prescott, Kan., and they married in 1974. She survives of the home. They have three children, Jacob (Fara) of Mound City, Abigail Fern (Mark) of Pittsburg, Kan., and Joshua of Denver, Colo.; and four grandsons, Schuyler, Webb, Carson, and Beck.
Jack started work at the Rural Electric Cooperative in 1974, becoming a lineman. He worked for Westar Energy as a journeyman lineman starting in 1990, retiring in 2007.
Jack was preceded in death by his parents; his sisters Connie Seabolt and Jeannie Davis; his brother Clay Simons; and his in-laws, Mick and Opal Higgins.
Before suffering a stroke in 2012, Jack lived a colorful and active life. He had endless energy to help his children, family, neighbors, and friends with any project at any time. He and Cheryl worked hard to make their rural home a gathering place for all, and he leaves behind a large and devoted group of family and friends. Jack was the life of the party, loved music and riding his motorcycle, and found humor in most things in life.
A drop-in celebration of life and visitation will be held Monday, July 26 from 4 – 6 p.m. at Schneider Funeral Home in Mound City, Kan. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to Concern in Mound City, or a charity of your choice. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com