William Wesley Bright
06-20-1921 to 01-17-2020
Linn County News
Published Jan. 22, 2020
William Wesley Bright passed away peacefully on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. He was 98 years old. He was born in Foster, Mo., on June 20, 1921, to John and Lelah (James) Bright.
He graduated from Nyhart school in eighth grade in a one-room school house. After graduating he started working cutting wood and many other jobs and as a mechanic for Wesley Conner in Amoret, Mo.
In 1963 he bought the family farm where he resided the last 56 years. William spent his life farming, raising cattle and pigs. He retired from farming in 1979; however, he had a full herd of cattle until August 2018. He was an avid gardener, hunter and fisherman and could fix anything that was broken.
He will be remembered for his kindness and compassion. His kids and grandkids all knew when he hollered, they had better be running. But he would be the first to help out in the kitchen to get strawberries mashed and make sure they had enough sugar.
William married Vivian Vail on Jan. 29, 1947, in Fort Scott at the courthouse. To this marriage were born eight children, 15 grandchildren, 26 great grandchildren and three great, great grandchildren.
He is survived by his siblings, Jack (Verna) Bright and Goldie Schnichels; eight children, Janet (Jim) O’Brien, Roy (Kim) Bright, Gene (Carol) Bright, Charles (Denese) Bright, Mary (Bob) Casey, Dale Bright, Pam (Marty) Carroll and Jeannie Kerr; 15 grandchildren; 26 great grandchildren; and three great, great grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his siblings Lula, Bonnie and Connie; a grandson, Eric O’Brien; and a great grandson, Tyler.
Funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday Jan. 22, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial will be in the Woodfin Cemetery. Visitation was scheduled from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at the Schneider Chapel.
Contributions are suggested to Good Sheppard Hospice. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967... [More]
- Richard Scott Craig 10-30-1945 to 02-17-2020
- Jerome Vernon “Jerry” Morgan 05-09-1941 to 01-31-2020
- Robert Dale Pennington 07-18-1937 to 02-16-2020
- David Earl Cummings 09-08-1953 to 02-13-2020
- Sidney A. McKnight Jr. 12-20-1940 to 12-16-2019
- Robert Dale Avery 12-26-1931 to 02-11-2020
- Robert Dean “Bob” King 08-23-1934 to 02-12-2020
- Richard Butts 06-04-1935 to 02-05-2020
At issue is access authority at scrapyard site Parker city leaders tabled a question of roadway authority and access at the council’s monthly meeting last Thursday. At question is the non-platted South Walnut Street south of South Street that... [More]
County discusses other departments needing the software After a long discussion last week that the County Commissioners wanted to see County Attorney James Brun in the county more, he told them this week that he is purchasing Westlaw, an online legal... [More]
Grade 8-12 offerings will enable more certifications, gain extra funding Numerous courses, mainly at Prairie View High, will be renamed or initiated in action taken by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their Feb. 10 monthly meeting.... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Prairie View girls’ wrestling team traveled to Paola on Feb. 14-15 to compete in the East Regional to determine who would go to the girls’ State Tournament in Salina on Feb. 27. The Buffalos took five wrestlers to the tournament, and two of... [More]
The Pleasanton basketball teams hosted their Senior-Parent Night against Oswego on Feb. 11. It was a good night for the Jays as both the boys and girls won their respective games. The girls won 34-24 while the boys won their game 69-47. The girls’ game... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track