MIAMI & LINN COUNTY – On Wednesday morning, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI), the Miami County Sheriff’s Office, the Linn County Sheriff’s Office, the Osawatomie Police Department, and the Pleasanton Police Department arrested six individuals in Miami and Linn counties for distribution of methamphetamine and other charges.
The investigation began in December of 2022, when the Osawatomie Police Department developed information about area drug sales. Then, on Wednesday, March 22, between 6 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., KBI agents and investigators executed search warrants and arrest warrants at a residence in rural Osawatomie, Kansas, and at two residences in La Cygne, Kansas. During the searches, law enforcement located methamphetamine and over $12,000 in cash. During the joint investigation, over 1.5 pounds of methamphetamine was seized, some of which is believed to contain fentanyl.
Six subjects were arrested.
Charles Eslick Jr., 49, of Osawatomie, was arrested for distribution of a controlled substance, conspiracy, unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia, and distribution or possession of a controlled substance using a communication facility.
Deanne Burkhart, 55, of Osawatomie, was arrested for distribution of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Julia R. Spears, 50, of Osawatomie, was arrested for distribution of a controlled substance, conspiracy, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Bernie E. Stuteville, 60, of La Cygne, was arrested for distribution of a controlled substance, conspiracy, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Danny R. Harper, 58, of Osawatomie, was arrested for distribution of controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Cindy M. Ballou, 45, of Osawatomie, was arrested during the search warrant for having outstanding warrants for driving while suspended with no proof of insurance.
Following their arrests, the subjects were each booked into the Miami County Jail. Formal charges are pending. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Also assisting in this investigation were Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the Kansas Highway Patrol (KHP), the La Cygne Police Department, the Ottawa Police Department, and the Paola Police Department. The investigation is ongoing.
Memorial Day events in Linn County
Saturday, May 27 Linn Valley Memorial Day ceremony at the memorial at 10 a.m. Prescott Cemetery Memorial Day ceremony at 10:30 a.m.; a potluck lunch will follow at the Community Building in Prescott with the city providing the meat, drinks and table service.... [More]
Tanglewood Lakes gates destroyed by crowd
Frustration has reached a boiling point; frustration from property owners who have had their gate entry cards cut off and frustration from Tanglewood Lakes board members at continued damage they are seeing to lake property. Events reached a heightened state after Kansas State... [More]
Tanglewood incident tops commission meeting
Amid a packed house, Linn County Attorney Burton Harding provided an update for commissioners and the public on an incident that took place at Tanglewood Lakes on Thursday, May 18. Harding stated that on Friday afternoon his office received videos and reports from the Sheriff’s... [More]
- La Cygne codes officer resigns
- SPECIAL: Press release on protest at Tanglewood Lakes
- Click It or Ticket Campaign Reminds Drivers: Buckle Up May 22 - June 4, and Every Day
- SPECIAL: K-152 resurfacing project to begin in late May
- Commissioners approve STARS funding at 1 mill for 2024
- Commercial solar farms top zoning regulation discussions
- Parker to pursue condemnation action
- BREAKING NEWS: Suspect arrested on burglaries; appears in court
Jayhawk softball wins Regional, advances to State
The Jayhawk-Linn softball team competed in the 2-1A Regional tournament hosted by Uniontown on May 15-16. The Hawks won the tournament and earned a sport in the 2A State tournament in Pratt on May 25-26. Jayhawk was the two seed with a 13-3 record and first played the seven... [More]
Lady Buffs win Regional track meet
The Prairie View track team traveled to compete in their 3A Regional meet in Fredonia on May 18. The Regional meets determine who will participate in the State track meet as the top four placers in each event goes to State. The Buffalos sent a total of eight athletes to State,... [More]
- Prairie View girls win Pioneer League track meet
- Pleasanton track places fourth in TRL meet
- Jayhawk track places top two at TRL meet
- Prairie View softball 3-0 against Osawatomie and Girard
- Jayhawk softball sweeps Marmaton Valley and splits against Uniontown
- Pleasanton track competes at Humboldt
- Jayhawk boys’ track wins home invitational
- Pleasanton baseball hosts Crest and St. Paul in TRL double-headers
USD 344 Superintendent, elementary secretary retire
Friday was an emotional day for many people, including USD 344 Superintendent Travis Laver and long-time elementary secretary Danita Snyder – both retired after 30 years or more working for the district. Retired Kansas Deputy Education Commissioner Dale Dennis, and wife... [More]
JLHS play set to open this Friday
Students from Jayhawk Linn have been rehearsing and waiting for the moment the curtain opens on their spring production of The Bold, The Young and The Murdered. The play is centered on a long-running soap opera, The Bold and the Young, which is in its’ last days. The... [More]
STARS Criminal Justice/EMT program run joint exercise
Facing multiple challenges, instructors at STARS have put together an EMT and Criminal Justice program for students. STARS Director Jay Allen said of the programs, “We’ve done it without a lot of resources; I doubt many people have done more with less.” Criminal... [More]
- Traveling display comes to La Cygne Historical Society Museum
- STARS HVAC and Heavy Equipment programs a success
- A celebration in her honor
- New venue has open house set for Saturday, April 8
- Mildred Store presented with national award
- Maynerd’s opens in Mound City
- New Life Being Brought to Historical Park
- Pleasanton students compete in Kansas Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge