Albert Walton Ham (Walt) went to be with his Lord and Savior on Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014. Walt was born Jan. 30, 1927, to Thelma and Ira J. Ham.
He graduated in May 1945 from Prescott High School and was drafted to the U.S. Army. After basic training, he returned home to marry his high school sweetheart, Evelyn Vest. Together they drove a Model T Ford to Washington, D.C., on dirt roads.
In Washington, Walt worked at the Pentagon where he also guarded the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier until the war ended.
After returning to Prescott, Walt and his father started the Ham Implement and Ford Tractor Co. Walt served the farmers by keeping their tractors and implements in working order for over 35 years.
In addition to Evelyn, his wife of 67 years, Walt is survived by his son, Larry Walton Ham and wife Pam of rural Fort Scott, Kan.; and daughter, Linda Ann Pruitt and Urvy of Prescott, Kan.
He was blessed with grandsons Kirby and Jay Ham and Jeff and Derek Fugate and their families, including eight great-grandchildren. Also, surviving is his younger sister, Shirley Parks of Pleasant Hill, Mo.; and several nieces and nephews.
He was a member of the Grace Baptist Church in Fort Scott, Kan., and he was very close to his church family.
Graveside service was conducted by Pastor Paul Rooks on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014, at the Prescott Cemetery. Schneider Funeral Home, Pleasanton Chapel was in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be given to the Prescott Country View Nursing Home in Walt’s honor.
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Randall "Randy" James Rogers, age 72, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023. Funeral service will be 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Amanda Locke Johnson passed away on Oct. 21, 2022, at her home in Blue Mound, Kan. A memorial service is planned for Jan. 28, 2023, at the Blue Mound Federated Church with visitation to be held from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.... [More]
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Freeda Belle Brady, age 88, Osawatomie, Kan., formerly of La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday Jan. 18, 2023. Mass of Christian Burial will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, at Our Lady of Lourdes... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Seniors say they do not want to move The Pleasanton Senior Meals site has been an ongoing topic of discussion in both the Linn County Commissioners and Pleasanton City Council meetings for several months now with no resolution to the issue in sight. The topic first... [More]
On Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023, the Linn Valley Police Department took a burglary report in the area of Holiday Drive in Linn Valley. The victim reported his garage had been broken into and several items were stolen that included a 2020 Harley Davidson motorcycle, tools, household... [More]
Anyone that travels across Kansas from time to time may have witnessed bicycles traveling west to east along busy routes or desolate routes; riders were most likely entered into the Biking Across Kansas (BAK) event held once a year. It begins at various points on the west side... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View girls’ basketball team traveled to Uniontown on Jan. 17, 19 and 20 to compete in the Kenny Holt Memorial Tournament. The Lady Buffs performed well in the tournament and went 3-0 to become the tournament champions. Prairie View first faced Jayhawk on... [More]
The Pleasanton boys’ and girls’ basketball teams hosted their Midseason Basketball Tournament Jan. 17-20. The boys went 0-3 in the tournament but the girls won the tournament going 3-0. Pleasanton first played Northeast Kansas and the Lady Jays won a defensive... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org