Linn County News
Published Nov. 10, 2021
Alvin (“Al”) Raymond Thompson, 60, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away July 25, 2021, at St. Luke’s South Hospital in Overland Park, Kan.
Al was born Nov. 22, 1960, to Harold and Mary Thompson at Olathe Community Hospital.
Al recalled from his childhood many trips to Goodland, Kan., on the train to stay the summer with his grandparents and relatives on the farm. He enjoyed being there and remembered it fondly.
Al attended Olathe High School, back when there was only one high school. He worked as a mechanic and did real estate maintenance for several years. He attended DeVry Institute of Technology and received an associate’s degree in electronics and worked in the medical equipment field for many years. Al always liked new challenges and decided to go into real estate and worked as an agent for Crown Realty for the last 15 years. He enjoyed working for Crown, his co-workers and people he met as he did business. Al was a people person, and it fit him well.
Al and Kathy Knecht met in 1981. They were introduced by mutual friends. It was love at first sight, and they were married Jan. 22, 1982. They were together for 39 years. It was always “You and Me, Kid.” They lived a loving, committed relationship, respected each other, with an importance of shared faith and sincere love of family, friends and community.
Al was fun-loving and appreciated for his kind and generous ways. Helping others brought joy to his life. He loved classic cars and attended shows. He tinkered in the garage and enjoyed building things around the house. He really enjoyed his time with friends and family at the lake, sharing a story, having a drink and listening to music.
Preceding Al in death are his father and mother, Harold and Mary Thompson; his sister, Julie Thompson; his brother, Danny Thompson; father-in-law George Knecht; brother-in-law Greg Knecht; and brother-in-law Bill Clark.
Surviving are his wife, Kathy, of the home; and his five sons, Brandon Thompson of Olathe, Justin Thompson of Eldridge, Mo., Jason Thompson and wife Samantha of Pleasant Hill, Mo., Jacob Thompson of Olathe and Jordan Thompson of Olathe. He is also survived by his mother-in-law, Lorraine “Kitty” Knecht, of Paola; his sister, Linda (Bill) Clark, of Flemington, Mo.; sister Judy and husband Wayne DuVall of Marysville, Tenn.; sister-in-Law Gayleen (Danny) Thompson of Osawatomie; sister Bonnie and her husband Jim Forth of Olathe; and brother-in-law Mike Knecht and his wife Cheryl of Joplin, Mo. Al was close to his many nieces and nephews and talked with them often. He was a great listener and reassuring soul for many. He leaves behind his beloved dog Shadow and two cats Momma and Joker.
A Celebration of Life will be held from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 12, 2021, at Town Square Event Design at 15 W. Wea, Paola, Kan. A mass will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021, at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 501 E Chippewa St., Paola. Graveside service will be directly after mass at Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery in Paola. Please respect others by wearing masks and social distancing when possible.
In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Lakemary Center, Holy Trinity Church of Paola or the charity of your choice in his memory c/o Dengel & Son Mortuary-Crematory, 305 N. Pearl St., Paola, Kan. 66071.
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Lawrence “Burt” Burton Holt, 80, of Lenexa, Kan., passed away on Dec. 1, 2021. Burt is survived by his wife, Sandra, and stepson, Curtis (Shelli); son, Dalton (Sherri), grandson, Tyler, and granddaughter,... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Patricia Pauline (Holt) Ratliff, 79, of Cameron, Mo., passed away Nov. 24, 2021. She was born Aug. 3, 1942, in Kansas City, Kan. She married Clifton Ray Ratliff on March 17, 2001, in Turney, Mo. Patricia is... [More]
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 Kristina Diane Roth, age 43, of Hesston, Kan., entered her heavenly home on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. Kris was born March 11, 1978, the daughter of Robert (Bob) and Diane Burnett in Garnett, Kan., and lived with her family in... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Going through bills at their Monday County Commission meeting, the commissioners approved two claims in the amount of $14,409.41 and $318,935.17 but questioned a bill in the amount of $7,500 paid last week to Debrick Truck Line of Paola for shipping an MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush... [More]
Republican candidate for state treasurer, state Sen. Caryn Tyson of rural Parker has received national recognition as legislator of the year for her leadership and work on Property Tax Transparency, Senate Bill (SB) 13. Tyson researched and led an effort in Kansas to stop automatic... [More]
Former Pleasanton City Council member Ginger Neal-Cox, 203 E. Fourth St., appeared before the Pleasanton Council Monday evening to inform them of an aggressive dog that bit her daughter in November and asked that the aggressive dog ordinance be stiffened. She said that on Nov.... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The Pleasanton basketball teams started their season on Dec. 3 with a home game against Kansas City Christian (KCC). The girls fed off a good defensive performance to win their game 36-18. KCC was too much for the boys, however, as they lost their game 70-35. The girls’... [More]
Jayhawk-Linn basketball teams lost competitive games in their season openers Friday at Cass-Midway, Mo. How each varsity team reached its final verdict, however, came from a different angle. Down by as many as 12 points halfway through the second quarter, the Lady Jayhawks... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org