Linn County News
Published March 6, 2019
Audrey Ann Proffitt, age 81, a resident of Prescott, Kan., passed away Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. She was born Nov. 12, 1937, the daughter of Jesse Belmont Crane and Vera Davis Crane. From the age of 8, she was raised by her father and his wife, Lillian Mayfield Crane.
Audrey married Lewis William Proffitt on June 3, 1956.
She had worked for several years as a nurse’s aide. The last several years, she worked as an administrative assistant and social service designee for the Country View Nursing Home in Prescott.
Audrey enjoyed gardening and tending her flowers. She took pride in her yard and her home always being neat and tidy.
She is survived by her three daughters, Peggy Proffitt, of Iola, Kan., Barbara Proffitt, of Pleasanton, Kan., and Ronni McCain, of Prescott; two daughters-in-law, Carol Proffitt, of Colorado, and Sarha Peterson, of Iola; 12 grandchildren, Pamela Patterson, Tyrene Cook, Anthony Perry, Damien Blackwell, Thomas Smith, Dustin Meek, Jacqueline Smith, Cheyanne McCain, Clifford Peterson, Robert Peterson, June Sellman and Derick Peterson; 44 great grandchildren; and nine great, great grandchildren with two more on the way. Also surviving are a brother, Sam Crane and wife Connie, of Texas, and a sister, Charlotte Shipley, of West Plains, Mo.
Her husband preceded her in death on Feb. 22, 1991. She was also preceded in death by a son, Dale Proffitt; a granddaughter, Sarah Ann Mueller; five brothers, Dale, Bobby and Lester Crane, and CW and Wallace Shaffer; three sisters, Norma Beebe, Elsie Bawgus and Louella Womelsdorf; and two brothers-in-law, Ron Womelsdorf and Max Shipley.
Pastor Lloyd Houk will conduct funeral services at 2 p.m. Thursday, March 7, at the Cheney Witt Chapel, Fort Scott, Kan. Burial will follow in the Woods Cemetery near Redfield, Kan. The family will receive friends from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday evening at the Cheney Witt Chapel.
Memorials are suggested to the Audrey Proffitt Memorial Fund and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, 201 S. Main, P.O. Box 347, Ft. Scott, KS 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com