Our beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother Betty Jo Walters Cody Dutcher, age 83, passed away on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, in Los Angeles, Calif., from complications due to Lewy Body Dementia. Betty was a long-time resident of Linn County.
Betty was the seventh of nine children born to John and Bessie Mae Walters. Betty was born in a tent on the land her parents sharecropped in Bethel, Kan.
Betty attended Argentine Middle School but left when she was 14 years old for a better life. She worked at an ice cream parlor where she earned $17 a week, and rented an apartment across the street for $10 a week.
When Betty was 18 she was set up on a blind date picnic in Swope Park. She married her date, James Delroy Cody, later that year on June 21, 1951. Together they moved to California where James was stationed in the Air Force. They had three children, Marilyn, James and Dianna.
Betty later married Norris Dewitt Dutcher III on July 17, 1967. They had two daughters, Norra and Donna.
Betty was a hard worker with an entrepreneurial spirit. She achieved her childhood dream of becoming a telephone operator before she married. After she married, she focused on raising her children, being in service to others, and working for herself. She had several successful businesses – first preparing income taxes, then owning and operating an antique store, a convenience and liquor store, and a residential care facility for the elderly. She took the most pride in her job as a school bus driver, which she did late in life. She weathered Kansas winters and made sure her many children made it to school safely. Betty earned her GED, an A.A. degree in early childhood education, a CNA license, and completed H&R Block training.
Betty fell in love with Alaska and visited many times. She loved cross country road trips while listening to Elvis’ gospel music, Ray Charles and Herb Alpert and stopping at every flea market and truck stop along the way. She also loved playing cards and hosting dinners. Most of all she loved being with her family. She was a warm, nurturing mother who deeply loved her children and grandchildren as best she could. Betty never recalled her parents saying “I love you,” but she made it a point to tell her children she loved them every day she was with them. She wanted nothing but a better life for her children filled with love and opportunity.
In 2005, Betty left these words for her children and grandchildren:
When you’re lonely, I wish you love.
When you’re down, I wish you joy.
When you’re troubled, I wish you peace.
When things are complicated, I wish you simple beauty.
When things look empty, I wish you hope.
It is not easy to apologize for a wrong,
To begin all over again,
To forgive and forget,
To control a bad temper,
To keep a high standard,
To remember that the sun will shine
– But it is worthwhile.
Betty is survived by her five children, daughter Marilyn (Cody) Prater, son James Cody and wife Debbie, daughter Dianna (DeDe) (Cody) Anderson and husband Rick, daughter Norra (Dutcher) Basore and husband Brian, and daughter Donna Dutcher; five grandchildren, Ryan Andersen and wife Shelly, Jason Andersen, Brandon Cody and wife Hilary Bruckert, Nicolas Basore and girlfriend Caroline Hayes, and Rachel Basore; and three great-grandchildren, Evelyn and Maverick Andersen and Brandon Cody Jr. Betty is also survived by her brother Donald Walters and wife Cheryl; sister Alida (Tammy) Renz and husband Clyde; and a large extended family.
A memorial service will be scheduled. Inquiries may be addressed to Donna Dutcher, email@example.com.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Special: Governor issues declaration of disaster emergency due to threat of wildland fires
Governor Laura Kelly issued a verbal declaration of disaster emergency this morning, March 31, due to the potential for wildland fires and severe storms in the state. The declaration will allow the state to preposition assets for a quicker response to any fires... [More]
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
- USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org