Billie Joe “Bill” Avery, age 90, Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept. 19, 2016, at Vintage Park in Osawatomie, Kan. He was born on April 30, 1926, at Garnett, Kan., the son of Horace and Winifred Crozier Avery.
He attended school in Ottawa, Kan. He left high school during his junior year to serve his country in the United States Navy during World War II. After being honorably discharged, he graduated from Ottawa High School in 1947.
Bill married Norma Fredricks on July 25, 1948, at Ottawa.
He worked as a machinist and mechanic for the Ferguson Dealership in Ottawa. He and Norma moved to Osawatomie in 1959. From 1959 to 1965, he was a partner in Avery Tyler Tractor Agency. In October of 1968, he began Bill Avery Insurance representing State Farm Insurance in Osawatomie retiring in June of 1990. The family built a cabin in Centerville, moving in the summer of 1979.
He was a member of the Trinity Methodist Church in Ottawa, the VFW, Elks and Lions and served on the school board of Osawatomie USD No. 367 from 1974-1977.
He was preceded in death by his parents and wife Norma.
He is survived by a daughter, Melissa Maimer and husband Danny; a son, Mike Avery and wife Lisa; sister Bonnie Rumford and husband Leon; four grandsons, Grant and Blake (Sarah) Maimer and Jarod and Tommy Avery; and a great-grandson, Barrett Maimer.
Graveside funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016, at the Osawatomie Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel. The family suggests contributions to Linn County Care to Share or Catholic Hospice. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com