Billie Joe “Bill” Avery, age 90, Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept. 19, 2016, at Vintage Park in Osawatomie, Kan. He was born on April 30, 1926, at Garnett, Kan., the son of Horace and Winifred Crozier Avery.
He attended school in Ottawa, Kan. He left high school during his junior year to serve his country in the United States Navy during World War II. After being honorably discharged, he graduated from Ottawa High School in 1947.
Bill married Norma Fredricks on July 25, 1948, at Ottawa.
He worked as a machinist and mechanic for the Ferguson Dealership in Ottawa. He and Norma moved to Osawatomie in 1959. From 1959 to 1965, he was a partner in Avery Tyler Tractor Agency. In October of 1968, he began Bill Avery Insurance representing State Farm Insurance in Osawatomie retiring in June of 1990. The family built a cabin in Centerville, moving in the summer of 1979.
He was a member of the Trinity Methodist Church in Ottawa, the VFW, Elks and Lions and served on the school board of Osawatomie USD No. 367 from 1974-1977.
He was preceded in death by his parents and wife Norma.
He is survived by a daughter, Melissa Maimer and husband Danny; a son, Mike Avery and wife Lisa; sister Bonnie Rumford and husband Leon; four grandsons, Grant and Blake (Sarah) Maimer and Jarod and Tommy Avery; and a great-grandson, Barrett Maimer.
Graveside funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016, at the Osawatomie Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel. The family suggests contributions to Linn County Care to Share or Catholic Hospice. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Robert W. VanWinkle, age 83, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Friday, Dec. 1, 2023. A service to celebrate Bob’s life will be announced at a later date. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. ... [More]
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Jolene Moriconi, 87, of Lawrence, Kan., formerly of Paola, Kan., and Frontenac, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2023, at home surrounded by family. She was born May 24, 1936, in Frontenac, Kan., the daughter of... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 6, 2023 Perle David Patrick Jr., age 67, Osawatomie, Kan., passed away Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023. Funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
- Larry Wayne Miller ~ 01-21-1958 to 11-06-2023
- Vernon Earl McGee ~ 10-07-1945 to 11-07-2023
- Vicki A. Capp ~ 08-08-1954 to 11-06-2023
- Marcia D. Mathes ~ 03-31-1947 to 11-09-2023
- Joyce Elaine Hewitt (née Terry) ~ 03-26-1941 to 11-01-2023
- Edward Lee “Butch” Samyn ~ 11-28-1947 to 11-07-2023
- Gary John Hald ~ 01-19-1946 to 11-02-2023
- Neal DeWayne Peterson ~ 03-05-1946 to 10-03-2023
During the weekly meeting of the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, Dec. 4, Rich Morrell and Charlene Sims with the Linn County Planning Commission each addressed the commissioners in regard to the moratorium and the request to create a committee to work on Section 14. ... [More]
Linn County Clerk David Lamb presented the commissioners with documents to be signed by the commission chair during their weekly meeting on Monday, Dec. 4, in regard to the bond sale last Wednesday to refinance a portion of the original bond for the jail project. Lamb... [More]
Linn County Public Works Director Shaun West noted he had reached out to the fiber installers south of the power plant in reference to questions the commissioners had concerning undone road work. West stated he learned the connection comes into the project from the west and moves... [More]
- Commissioners approve resolution on one-year moratorium on commercial solar farms
- USD 362 to seek more 4-day week info
- Commissioners approve resolution for bond refinance
- Commissioners vote 2-1 for one year moratorium on solar farms
- Linn County Planning and Zoning meeting leads to moratorium request for Commissioners
- Kansas Senator speaks on ills of green energy
- Election canvass held Nov. 20, abstract approved
- Thanksgiving events
The Pleasanton basketball team hosted their home opener against Kansas City Christian (KCC) on Dec. 1. The Jays split the varsity games with the girls falling in their game 20-29 and the boys winning big in their game, 78-44. The girls’ game started well as the Lady... [More]
Sophomore Brea Dawson scored 12 of her game-high 18 points in the fourth quarter, paving the way for Jayhawk Linn’s girls to claim a 43-38 season-opening win at Cass-Midway, Mo., Friday night. Despite a game-high 23 points from junior Braeden Nation, the ‘Hawk boys... [More]
- Prairie View wrestling competes at Steve Leslie Invitational
- 2023 All Linn County high school football team
- Miami teams split season openers
- Jayhawk and Pleasanton football are well represented in the 2023 TRL All League
- Prairie View football has seven players make Pioneer All League
- Prairie View football ends season against Parsons
- Jayhawk 8-2 season mirrors 2022 campaign
- Prairie View routs Baxter Springs in first round of the playoffs
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org