Linn County News
Published Oct. 3, 2018
Charlie “Clarence” Springer, age 93 of Prescott, Kan., passed away, Saturday, Sept. 29, at Fort Scott, Kan. Clarence was born on Nov. 24, 1924, in Pleasanton, Kan., the son of Charlie and Alma McAllister Springer.
After high school and a few college courses, Clarence enlisted in the United States Army, where he went on to serve in World War II in the Pacific Theater action. During his time in the Army, Clarence received several awards and medals including Distinguished Unit Citation: GO 76 Hq 6th Army, GO 80 Hq 41st Inf 44, Asiatic Pacific Service Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with two Bronze Stars, World War II Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal and Bronze Service Arrowhead. Clarence was very proud of his military service.
After returning from the war, he met the love of his life, Alta “June” Holmes. They were married on June 19, 1947, in Prescott, where they made their home.
He was the postmaster in Prescott for 30 years, retiring in July of 1988. He was a very avid reader and sharp witted (many of the kids would go to the post office every day to hear the joke of the day), and he enjoyed farming and ranching, hunting and fishing.
Clarence was a member of Hewitt-New Post No. 248 American Legion in Mound City, Kan., and VFW Post 1165 Olson-Frary-Burkhart Post in Fort Scott.
Clarence was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Dorothy Snow, Clidena Thatcher and Rebecca Ewy; one brother, Eddie Springer; and three sons, Gerald Springer, Rodney Springer and Steven Springer. He is survived by his wife June; two daughters, Nancy Neubert and Charlene Brannon; one son, Randy Springer; 16 grandchildren; 36 great grandchildren; and five great, great grandchildren.
Funeral service will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation will be from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial will be in the Prescott Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to Hewitt-New Post No. 248 American Legion, which may be sent in care of Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, P.O. Box 525, Pleasanton, KS 66075.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com