Linn County News
Published Aug. 3, 2022
Charlotte Ruth Morrell, age 88, formerly of Blue Mound, Kansas passed away Tuesday, July 26, 2022.
She was born on Dec. 27, 1933, in Critzer, Kansas the daughter of Ora Thomas and Edith Ruth Rogers Shaw. She was united in marriage to Vernon Morrell on January 11, 1951 in Mound City, Kan. She graduated from Blue Mound High School as the Valedictorian of the Class of 1952.
Vernon did a tour in the Air Force shortly after their marriage. Upon his return, the couple took up farming and started milking a herd of their own dairy cows in 1954. All four of the children were raised on the farm. Education was a value instilled in them early in life.
Every child received a college education and bachelor’s degree or higher. Vernon and Charlotte got out of the dairy business in 1987. Charlotte then worked in a nursing home, at Lincoln National Insurance and finally as a client advocate for the Kansas Department of Social Services advocating for children. She was a member of the Blue Mound United Methodist Church.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and husband Vernon, July 15, 1998.
Charlotte is survived by four children, Jack Morrell (Cathy), Richard Morrell (Kerry), Nancy Fonseca, and Mick Morrell(Kellie); eight grandchildren, Brian, Chad, Cara, Adam, Holly, Mike, Jenni, and Dani; and six great-grandchildren, Kody, Mirena, Hampton, James, Pierce and Wells.
Funeral service will be held 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 30, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City, Kan. Burial will be in the Curry Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Schneider Mound City Chapel. Contributions are suggested to the Charity of Choice. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Larry Sumners, age 68, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at the Overland Park Regional Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Laurence A. Sumners was born on Aug. 16, 1953, at McPherson,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 It is with great sadness to announce the passing of Michael Ekkehard Reinsch, a beloved brother, father, uncle and grandfather. Michael passed away on Wednesday, June 22, 2022, at Augusta University Medical Center. Michael... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Rosetta May Beard, age 99, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022. Graveside funeral service will be 10 a.m. Monday, Aug. 8, at the Oak Lawn Cemetery, La Cygne, Kan. Memorial contributions are suggested... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Following the governor’s recent approval of legislation created to show when taxing entities are increasing mill levies, additional costs to taxpayers are coming to the forefront, despite some holding taxes to the same level using revenue neutral rates. Kansaspolicy.org... [More]
Following opening statements at Monday’s Pleasanton City Council meeting, public speaker Mike Higgins took the podium and told the council that he was talking to former Olive’s Hope building owner Brandon McGinnis concerning the sale of the building to a family that... [More]
Two of the county departments geared toward public safety are now under new direction. Missy Lancaster took over the Linn County Health Department as well as the position of Public Health Officer in November of last year and has made a few changes to the department since... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
Fishing has slowed down since the last reports on June 27, but fish are still being caught and can be even better in the coming weeks with some cooler weather and more rain. All the reports were last updated on July 18. La Cygne Lake Catfish, largemouth and crappie are the... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org