Published in the Linn County News July 3, 2019
Cleo Irma Bloomfield, age 93, a lifelong resident of Prescott, Kan., passed away late Tuesday, June 25, 2019, at the Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kan. She was born September 13, 1925, in Prescott, the daughter of Karl Ermel Allen and Alta May Phillips Allen. Irma attended school in Prescott and graduated from the Prescott High School with the Class of 1943. She later attended Pittsburg State University.
Irma married Russell Ellis Bloomfield on August 11, 1943, at the Prescott Baptist Church. While Russell was serving with the Navy during World War II, Irma taught at a one-room schoolhouse west of Prescott. She later worked for thirteen and a half years as the kitchen supervisor for the Country View Nursing Home in Prescott. She also served for several years as Prescott City Clerk. She was a long time member of the Prescott Baptist Church where in earlier years she taught Sunday School and organized Vacation Bible School. She was an active member of the Prescott community and volunteered her time with the annual Coal Centre Days Festival. She also faithfully volunteered for the Reach Out Food Pantry and commodity distribution. She loved to cook. Her popcorn balls were a favorite treat of many Prescott trick-or-treaters. She also made hundreds of dozens of cookies for hunter’s safety courses and other community events.
Survivors include her three sons, Darrell Bloomfield and wife, Roberta, of Ft. Scott, Kansas and Roger Bloomfield and Larry Bloomfield, both of Prescott; eight grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren with one more on the way and two great-great-grandchildren as well as numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and friends. Her husband, Russell, preceded her in death on September 10, 2003. She was also preceded in death by her parents and two sisters, Cleda Cannon and Margaret Roberts.
Rev. James Collins will conduct funeral services at 10:30 a.m. Monday, July 1st at the Cheney Witt Chapel. Burial will follow in the Prescott Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 2 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the Cheney Witt Chapel. Memorials are suggested to the Reach Out Food Pantry and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, 201 S. Main, P.O. Box 347, Ft. Scott, KS 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach. He attended grade school... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Kristina Dawn Weers-Colin, 42, of Parker, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, at Advent Health Medical Center, Shawnee, Kan. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, at Bucyrus Cemetery, Bucyrus,... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Norma Jane Johnson Surbaugh, age 80, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept., 26, 2022, in Louisburg, Kan. She was born the only child of Norman Everett and Alberta Frances Reed Johnson on Jan. 19, 1942, at the Trinity... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
The Linn Valley Council was given a few options to think about for their new water system Monday night. Engineer from BG Consultants Paul Owings said there were a couple aspects of the water project they needed to think about including transmission and distribution lines. He... [More]
Ola May Earnest to be Grand Marshal Pleasanton’s annual celebration of the heritage of their city is set for this coming weekend with one evening and two full days of activities. The annual event kicks off on Friday night with a street dance on Main Street... [More]
Annexation for purposes of patrol, drug deterrence Following a public hearing on Monday, Sept. 26, during their regular council meeting and after hearing from two city residents, the Pleasanton council voted 3-1 to approve the annexation of a one and half mile section... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View cross country team hosted the annual Ramsey Invitational on Sept. 22. The Buffalos ran well at the meet and especially the varsity girls’ team as they placed first. Bree Allen continues to win varsity girls’ cross country races. Here she placed... [More]
The Jayhawk-Linn celebrated Homecoming on Sept. 23 by playing district opponent Northern Heights. The Hawks had no problems with Northern Heights as Jayhawk won 64-8. Almost all the Jayhawk scoring was done in the first quarter. Gus Grote scored on the first play of... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com