Linn County News
Published Oct. 7, 2020
Clifford Lee Howard, age 72, of La Cygne, Kan., died Saturday, Oct. 3, 2020, at his home. Cliff was born Aug. 20, 1948, in Walla Walla, Wash. He was the eldest of three children born to Clifford Marion and Elma Lee (Hazelton) Howard. Cliff grew up in Garland, Kan., where he attended elementary school and Fort Scott High School in Fort Scott, Kan.
At the age of 17, Cliff enlisted into the United States Navy. He was stationed in San Diego, Calif. He served two tours in Vietnam. On June 29, 1968, in Torrance, Calif., Cliff and Alice Marie Ringey were united in marriage. He was honorably discharged in 1969. Together they had three children: Clifford Allen, Treasa and Nathen. They made their home in Linn County.
Cliff was a mechanic, welder and tradesman his whole life. He started working for Johnson Controls, which changed names a couple times before becoming AMCOR. Cliff was a maintenance mechanic for 24 years until retiring in 2010.
In his free time, Cliff enjoyed riding his motorcycle, hunting and fishing. You could always find him tinkering and fabricating. He was a proud veteran. Cliff was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister, Judy Brown.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Alice, of the home; sons Clifford Allen (Amy) Howard of Kansas City, Mo., and Nathen (Janna) Howard of Louisburg, Kan., and daughter Treasa (Jeff) Weidauer of Le Mars, Iowa; sister Vickie Ramsey of Garland; and six grandchildren, Clifford R. Howard, Kaitlyn (Xavier) Michel, Samantha Weidauer, David (Taylor) Weidauer, Tommy Weidauer and Jackson Howard; along with other family and many friends.
Cliff will be cremated. Memorials are to the Camp Hope sent c/o Camp Hope, P.O. Box 52, Farmington, Mo. 63640.
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Robert W. VanWinkle, age 83, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Friday, Dec. 1, 2023. A service to celebrate Bob’s life will be announced at a later date. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. ... [More]
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Jolene Moriconi, 87, of Lawrence, Kan., formerly of Paola, Kan., and Frontenac, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2023, at home surrounded by family. She was born May 24, 1936, in Frontenac, Kan., the daughter of... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 6, 2023 Perle David Patrick Jr., age 67, Osawatomie, Kan., passed away Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023. Funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
- Larry Wayne Miller ~ 01-21-1958 to 11-06-2023
- Vernon Earl McGee ~ 10-07-1945 to 11-07-2023
- Vicki A. Capp ~ 08-08-1954 to 11-06-2023
- Marcia D. Mathes ~ 03-31-1947 to 11-09-2023
- Joyce Elaine Hewitt (née Terry) ~ 03-26-1941 to 11-01-2023
- Edward Lee “Butch” Samyn ~ 11-28-1947 to 11-07-2023
- Gary John Hald ~ 01-19-1946 to 11-02-2023
- Neal DeWayne Peterson ~ 03-05-1946 to 10-03-2023
During the weekly meeting of the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, Dec. 4, Rich Morrell and Charlene Sims with the Linn County Planning Commission each addressed the commissioners in regard to the moratorium and the request to create a committee to work on Section 14. ... [More]
Linn County Clerk David Lamb presented the commissioners with documents to be signed by the commission chair during their weekly meeting on Monday, Dec. 4, in regard to the bond sale last Wednesday to refinance a portion of the original bond for the jail project. Lamb... [More]
Linn County Public Works Director Shaun West noted he had reached out to the fiber installers south of the power plant in reference to questions the commissioners had concerning undone road work. West stated he learned the connection comes into the project from the west and moves... [More]
- Commissioners approve resolution on one-year moratorium on commercial solar farms
- USD 362 to seek more 4-day week info
- Commissioners approve resolution for bond refinance
- Commissioners vote 2-1 for one year moratorium on solar farms
- Linn County Planning and Zoning meeting leads to moratorium request for Commissioners
- Kansas Senator speaks on ills of green energy
- Election canvass held Nov. 20, abstract approved
- Thanksgiving events
The Pleasanton basketball team hosted their home opener against Kansas City Christian (KCC) on Dec. 1. The Jays split the varsity games with the girls falling in their game 20-29 and the boys winning big in their game, 78-44. The girls’ game started well as the Lady... [More]
Sophomore Brea Dawson scored 12 of her game-high 18 points in the fourth quarter, paving the way for Jayhawk Linn’s girls to claim a 43-38 season-opening win at Cass-Midway, Mo., Friday night. Despite a game-high 23 points from junior Braeden Nation, the ‘Hawk boys... [More]
- Prairie View wrestling competes at Steve Leslie Invitational
- 2023 All Linn County high school football team
- Miami teams split season openers
- Jayhawk and Pleasanton football are well represented in the 2023 TRL All League
- Prairie View football has seven players make Pioneer All League
- Prairie View football ends season against Parsons
- Jayhawk 8-2 season mirrors 2022 campaign
- Prairie View routs Baxter Springs in first round of the playoffs
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org