Linn County News
Published May 3, 2023
Dale Deer, age 82, a resident of Ft. Scott, Kan., passed away Sunday, April 30, 2023, at the Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kan. He was born May 25, 1940, in Bronson, Kan., the son of William Percy Deer and Kathryn Maxine Jackson Deer. Dale graduated from Uniontown High School with the Class of 1959. He first married Donna Kirker in 1961. They had two daughters, Debbie and Susan. This marriage ended in divorce. Dale later married Linda Jean Sullivan Epps at the Prescott United Methodist Church on Oct. 20, 1995, and gained two step-daughters, Amy and Stacy.
In earlier years, Dale farmed and then owned and operated his own trucking company. In 1996, he sold out of the trucking business and went to work for Linn County where he remained until his retirement in 2006. Following retirement, Dale and Linda were able to travel much of the United States as well as Australia and New Zealand and were able to enjoy many of God’s creations. He was a member of the West Liberty United Methodist Church and the Mapleton/Fulton Masonic Lodge.
Survivors include his wife, Linda, of the home; two daughters, Debbie Rogers, (Larry) of Fort Scott, and Susan Cannon (Delbert) of Prescott, a step-daughter, Amy Hutton (Tim); eight living grandchildren and step-grandchildren, Tabitha Hardesty (Kent), Kayla Bronson (Jeff), Erica Bolton (Jason), Chase Cannon (Alison), Dyamond Hutton, Zoe Hutton, Ryan Rogers (Megan) and Shanna Rogers; four great-granddaughters, Kenzi Hardesty, Riley Bronson, Morgyn Bronson and Brylin Rogers; four great-grandsons, Blaine Rogers, Cruz Bolton, Blake Swift and Colben Cannon and a great-great-grandson, Skylar. Also surviving are a brother, Kirk Deer (Debbie) of Mound City, Kan.; four sisters, Betty Adams of Fort Scott, Elaine Gibbons of Chanute, Kathy Combs (Kevin) of Girard, Kan., and Joyce Hall (Brian) of Fort Scott; and a sister-in-law, Jackie Deer of Nevada, Texas. Dale was preceded in death by a grandson, Heath Cannon in 1998; a step-daughter, Stacy Epps in 1999; and a brother, Carroll Deer in 2012.
Rev. Jim Brackett will conduct a celebration of life service at 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 6, at the West Liberty United Methodist Church. Private burial will take place in the Prescott Cemetery.
The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Cheney Witt Chapel. Memorials are suggested to the Heath Cannon Scholarship Fund and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, 201 S. Main, P.O. Box 347, Ft. Scott, KS 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Gene Raymond Mitchell ~ 10-27-1938 to 11-24-2022
Linn County News Published May 24, 2023 Gene Raymond Mitchell, 84 years, passed away on November 24, 2022 in his home Grand Rapids, Mich. He was born in Kansas City, Kan., the third child of Otto and Ruby Mitchell. Preceded in death by his parents and brother,... [More]
Richard Scott Secrest ~ 05-29-1929 to 05-16-2023
Linn County News Published May 17, 2023 Richard Scott Secrest, age 93 of Nevada, Mo., formerly of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, May 16, 2023. He was born the son of Ancil and Beulah (Jackson) Secrest on May 29, 1929, at Edgerton, Kan. Richard married... [More]
Donald Raymond Wier ~ 07-09-1940 to 05-11-2023
Linn County News Published May 17, 2023 Donald Raymond Wier, age 82, of Denton, Texas, passed away on May 11, 2023. The second child of Lloyd Elmer and Thelma Olan (Meek) Wier, Don was born on July 9, 1940, in Fort Scott, Kan., a farm kid who excelled in... [More]
- Gerald Lee “Jerry” Allison ~ 10-15-1939 to 05-14-2023
- Raymond Milton White ~ 08-09-1925 to 05-06-2023
- Loretta Mae “Sis” Brown ~ 01-17-1944 to 05-07-2023
- Sharon Kay Ala ~ 05-01-1944 to 05-01-2023
- James Frances Ptacek ~ 10-01-1928 to 04-01-2023
- Dale Deer ~ 05-25-1940 to 04-30-2023
- Sharon Kay Ala ~ 05-01-1944 to 05-01-2023
- Ann Emily Catron ~ 04-01-1955 to 04-30-2023
Health and cancer screening to be held June 3
A health and cancer screening event is planned for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on June 3 at the Pleasanton United Methodist Church, 751 Main Street. This event will have prostrate and skin cancer screenings, take-home colorectal cancer screening kits, blood pressure readings, tobacco... [More]
Third annual Thunder on the Street set for June 3
This year’s Thunder on the Street event, set for June 3 on Main Street in Pleasanton, promises several activities for all ages. The wall of death is back this year, only under a new company - Ives Brothers Wall of Death and promises tons of gravity defying entertainment.... [More]
Memorial Day events in Linn County
Saturday, May 27 Linn Valley Memorial Day ceremony at the memorial at 10 a.m. Prescott Cemetery Memorial Day ceremony at 10:30 a.m.; a potluck lunch will follow at the Community Building in Prescott with the city providing the meat, drinks and table service.... [More]
- Tanglewood Lakes gates destroyed by crowd
- Tanglewood incident tops commission meeting
- La Cygne codes officer resigns
- SPECIAL: Press release on protest at Tanglewood Lakes
- Click It or Ticket Campaign Reminds Drivers: Buckle Up May 22 - June 4, and Every Day
- SPECIAL: K-152 resurfacing project to begin in late May
- Commissioners approve STARS funding at 1 mill for 2024
- Commercial solar farms top zoning regulation discussions
Prairie View girls win 3A State track meet
The Prairie View track team traveled to Wichita May 26-27 to compete in the 3A State track championship and brought home some hardware to say the least. The girls’ team earned the school’s first State track championship as they scored 41.5 points to win the 3A girls’... [More]
Jayhawk boys bring home multiple medals at State track
The Jayhawk-Linn track team traveled to Wichita on May 26-27 to compete in the 2A State track championship. The Hawks were well represented this year as they sent a total of 13, seven girls and six boys, to State. The boys’ team earned multiple medals at the meet. Gus... [More]
- Jayhawk softball wins Regional, advances to State
- Lady Buffs win Regional track meet
- Pleasanton track qualifies six for State
- Prairie View girls win Pioneer League track meet
- Pleasanton track places fourth in TRL meet
- Jayhawk track places top two at TRL meet
- Prairie View softball 3-0 against Osawatomie and Girard
- Jayhawk softball sweeps Marmaton Valley and splits against Uniontown
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org