Linn County News
Published Aug. 17, 2022
Dean Brown, age 91, a resident of Fulton, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, August 10, 2022, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. He was born Oct. 7, 1930, in Uniontown, Kan., the son of Durward “Duke” Brown and Pearl Ballah Brown. Dean graduated from the Fulton High School. He married Fern R. Wardrip on July 2, 1949, at Eureka Springs, Ark.
Throughout his life, Dean worked at various jobs. He had been employed at both the Prescott and Mound City Elevators and for a time owned and operated his own service station in Fulton. Dean loved the land and being outdoors and especially enjoyed helping his brother, Donnie, with his farming operation. Dean enjoyed antique cars and often drove his Model A Ford in area parades. He was also active with the Fulton Community Center.
Survivors include his four children, Shirley Webber (Gary) of Paola, Kan., Ed Brown, of the home in Fulton, Sharon Oakes (Jim) of Clarksville, Tenn., and Lynn Brown (Melissa) of Fort Scott, Kan.; nine grandchildren, twenty-five great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren. Also surviving is a brother, Donnie Brown (Georgia), also of Fort Scott and several nieces and nephews.
Dean was preceded in death by his wife, Fern, on Sept. 15, 2013. He was also preceded in death by two brothers, Gale and Gary Brown and two sisters, Delma Wood and Juanita Brown.
Rev. Chuck Russell will conduct graveside services at 2 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 16, at the Mapleton Cemetery.
Memorials are suggested to the Prescott Food Pantry and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, 201 S. Main, P.O. Box 347, Ft. Scott, KS 66701.
Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach. He attended grade school... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Kristina Dawn Weers-Colin, 42, of Parker, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, at Advent Health Medical Center, Shawnee, Kan. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, at Bucyrus Cemetery, Bucyrus,... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Norma Jane Johnson Surbaugh, age 80, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept., 26, 2022, in Louisburg, Kan. She was born the only child of Norman Everett and Alberta Frances Reed Johnson on Jan. 19, 1942, at the Trinity... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
General mid-term election, ballot set for Nov. 8 Advance voting will begin Oct. 25 and precinct polling locations will be open from 7 a.m-7 p.m. Nov. 8 for this year’s mid-term general election. Oct. 18 is the in-person, online, and postmark if by mail deadline... [More]
During their meeting on Oct. 3, the Mound City Council discussed several water bill issues. The lead discussion was the water bill at 619 Main. City Clerk Shelby Murray stated that the property owner had rented it out and the tenant had left a bill of almost $500 and the owner... [More]
UPDATE: The original number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been restored. The staff there thanks everyone for their patience. The phone number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been compromised and they are awaiting new service. In the meantime,... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
After the Jays’ first loss of the season to Olpe last week, the Jays got back on track with a dominant performance against Southeast Cherokee. Pleasanton hosted Southeast on Sept. 30 for their Homecoming and had zero problems with the Lancers as they won the... [More]
The Prairie View football team hosted Girard on Sept. 30 for a district game against a very good Girard team. The Buffalos were outmatched by the Trojans and lost the game 41-8. Girard established their dominance early with a 21 point first quarter. The Trojans scored on... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org