Delmer Herman “Fergy” Ferguson, 98, passed away Sunday, Aug. 23, 2015, at his home near La Cygne, Kan. He was born in Warsaw, Mo., Dec. 13, 1916. Delmer was the oldest of four children born to Clyde Ferguson and Mildred Cobb.
He moved with his parents to Kansas City, Kan., in 1923 and graduated from Argentine High School in 1935 and received a basketball scholarship to Kansas State University.
Delmer married Lillian Vivian Girten June 4, 1945 at Kansas City, Kan. She preceded him in death June 22, 2008.
He began his 41-year career at Colgate-Palmolive-Peet in 1934. He served his country in the United States Army during World War II. He was wounded in action in Italy and was a recipient of the Purple Heart. After being honorably discharged in 1945, he returned to his job as a welder/pipefitter for Colgate-Palmolive-Peet.
He retired in 1975, moving permanently to his farm near La Cygne where he had been enjoying hunting and fishing since 1954. Delmer was an excellent athlete, gardener and avid bowler. He was the happiest being in the outdoors, hunting, fishing and teaching his grandchildren an appreciation for the outdoors. He was a member of the Wyandotte Masonic Lodge #3 and the V.F.W.
He was also preceded in death by his parents; brother, Alvin Ferguson; two sisters, Christine Ferguson and Helen White; a daughter, Christine Ferguson; and a grandson Jesse Delmer Cox.
He is survived by a daughter, Darlene Ferguson Cox and husband Wayne; son, Henry Ferguson and wife Sally; four grandsons, Michael Ortego and wife Alesia, John “Buck” Ortego and wife Brenda, Joe Macoubrie and Matthew Ferguson; granddaughter by marriage, Cherie DeCoster and husband Frank.
Funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 28, 2015, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5- 7 p.m. Thursday at the Chapel. The family suggests contributions to the Audubon Society, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, KS 66040. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com