Delmer Herman “Fergy” Ferguson, 98, passed away Sunday, Aug. 23, 2015, at his home near La Cygne, Kan. He was born in Warsaw, Mo., Dec. 13, 1916. Delmer was the oldest of four children born to Clyde Ferguson and Mildred Cobb.
He moved with his parents to Kansas City, Kan., in 1923 and graduated from Argentine High School in 1935 and received a basketball scholarship to Kansas State University.
Delmer married Lillian Vivian Girten June 4, 1945 at Kansas City, Kan. She preceded him in death June 22, 2008.
He began his 41-year career at Colgate-Palmolive-Peet in 1934. He served his country in the United States Army during World War II. He was wounded in action in Italy and was a recipient of the Purple Heart. After being honorably discharged in 1945, he returned to his job as a welder/pipefitter for Colgate-Palmolive-Peet.
He retired in 1975, moving permanently to his farm near La Cygne where he had been enjoying hunting and fishing since 1954. Delmer was an excellent athlete, gardener and avid bowler. He was the happiest being in the outdoors, hunting, fishing and teaching his grandchildren an appreciation for the outdoors. He was a member of the Wyandotte Masonic Lodge #3 and the V.F.W.
He was also preceded in death by his parents; brother, Alvin Ferguson; two sisters, Christine Ferguson and Helen White; a daughter, Christine Ferguson; and a grandson Jesse Delmer Cox.
He is survived by a daughter, Darlene Ferguson Cox and husband Wayne; son, Henry Ferguson and wife Sally; four grandsons, Michael Ortego and wife Alesia, John “Buck” Ortego and wife Brenda, Joe Macoubrie and Matthew Ferguson; granddaughter by marriage, Cherie DeCoster and husband Frank.
Funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 28, 2015, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5- 7 p.m. Thursday at the Chapel. The family suggests contributions to the Audubon Society, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, KS 66040. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel.
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Dean Brown, age 91, a resident of Fulton, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, August 10, 2022, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. He was born Oct. 7, 1930, in Uniontown, Kan., the son of Durward “Duke” Brown and Pearl... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Arthur Carl Hetzke, age 91, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug., 10, 2022. He was born on Aug. 5, 1931, in Newton, Kan., the son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Breck) Hetzke. He served his country in the United States Air Force... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 William John Adair, Sr., age 74, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Visitation will be held from... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Two of three rodeo horses were killed or had to be put down following an accident early Saturday morning. Undersheriff Bobby Johnson said that rodeo performer Donald Culpepper, Poulan, Ga., had made a make-shift electric fence for his horses at the Linn County Fairgrounds.... [More]
The city of Parker will be contacting Linn County about concrete surfacing assistance at an intersection that receives heavy truck traffic. At last Thursday’s monthly council meeting, Mayor Cody Adams responded to a patron complaint that asphalt surfacing at the intersection... [More]
Approves a change to the tax incentive program The Pleasanton City Council took several policies and policy changes under consideration at their Aug. 15 meeting. The first of these policies is the Neighborhood Culvert Replacement Program (NCRP) which would grant... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Farm Bureau Association hosted the annual pedal pull for kids age 4 to 12 at the Linn County fairgrounds on the evening of Aug. 12. Trophies were given to the top three pullers in each age group along with the opportunity to compete in the Kansas State Pedal... [More]
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks fish biologist Don George once again assisted with hosting the annual fishing derby at the Linn County fairgrounds on the morning of Aug. 13. Like in the past, the derby was divided into three age groups, 4-7, 8-10, and 11-16. Awards... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com