George Denton Kilgore, 90, of Grove, Okla. passed from this life Feb. 14, 2015, peacefully at home with family by his side. Mr. Kilgore was born April 6, 1924, to Sam and Josie Kilgore in Rogers, Ark.
Mr. Kilgore was an operating engineer in heavy equipment and a member of the UMW & Engineers Union, member of the Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma, a 32nd Degree Mason, a Shriner and donated much of his time as a Shriners Hospital Dad in Pittsburg, Kan., transporting many, many children to and from the hospital. A veteran of the United States Army, serving in WWII in Germany, George married Leta on Aug. 16, 1988, in Las Vegas, Nev. George and Leta moved to the Grove area in 2000 and were blessed by each other dearly for over 27 years. George loved to play music and sing, he could play the fiddle, banjo, guitar, and made everyone laugh with his stories, jokes and sense of humor. We will miss him dearly and now celebrate his life of 90 years.
Mr. Kilgore is survived by his loving wife, Leta, of the home; five daughters, Georgia Brooks of Missouri, Kathy Painter of Oklahoma, Dana Goudie and husband Tony of Kansas, Cindy Elston and husband Frank of Missouri, Sharon Brantley and husband David of Georgia; two sons, George Kilgore Jr. and wife Almeta of Arkansas, and Patrick Kilgore and wife Darlene of Missouri; two stepsons, Melvin Staniec of Oklahoma and David Staniec and wife Verna of Kansas; 21 grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren; nieces, nephews and a host of other relatives and friends.
George was preceded in death by his father and mother, Sam and Josie Kilgore; four brothers; three sisters; two sons, Sam Kilgore and Danny Kilgore; and two stepsons, Wayne Staniec and Glenn Staniec.
Graveside Services are scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 18, at 1 p.m., at Harmony Grove Cemetery in Dennis, Kan. Graveside military rites will be performed.
Arrangements are entrusted to Grand Lake Funeral Home & Cremation Services of Grove. Online condolences may be made by visiting www.grandlakefuneralhomes.com
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com