Linn County News
Published May 13, 2020
Harriet E. Stanley, age 72, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Friday, May 8, 2020. She was born on Dec. 27, 1947, in El Dorado Springs, Mo., the daughter of Lawrence W. and Elsie H. Beck Melton. She graduated from Washington High School in the Class of 1965.
Harriet was united in marriage to Forrest Ronald Stanley on Feb. 4, 1967, at St. Patrick’s Church in Kansas City, Kan. Over the years she was a beautician and worked in several office settings. She attended the Mound City First Baptist Church. She was active in the Kansas City, Kan., Jaycee Jaynes chapter and was a past president and still active in the Hewitt-New Post #248 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary. She was a homemaker who enjoyed cooking, crocheting, and caring for her family and friends. In her free time she enjoyed bowling, golfing, and attending her children’s and grandchildren’s activities.
She was preceded in death by her parents; three brothers, Roy, Billy Joe, and David Melton; and two sisters, Betty Ann McLaughlin, and Kathy Mattila.
Harriet is survived by her husband Ron; two sons, James Stanley and wife Bridget, and Eric Stanley and wife Deidra; two brothers, Johnny and Larry Melton; two sisters, Yvonne Savner and Mary Roche; four grandchildren, Dylan, Zoe, Kaliann, and Madison; and two great-grandchildren, Mateo and Holden.
A graveside service for Harriet will be held at 1 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, 2020, at Woodland Cemetery, Mound City, Kan. There will be a drive-thru visitation from 5 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 13, 2020, at Mound City First Baptist Church. The family suggests contributions to Mound City First Baptist Church or Hewitt-New Post #248 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary in care of Schneider Funeral Home, Mound City Chapel, P.O. Box J, Mound City, Kan. 66056. Friends and family are encouraged to leave online condolences at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Dean Brown, age 91, a resident of Fulton, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, August 10, 2022, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. He was born Oct. 7, 1930, in Uniontown, Kan., the son of Durward “Duke” Brown and Pearl... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Arthur Carl Hetzke, age 91, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug., 10, 2022. He was born on Aug. 5, 1931, in Newton, Kan., the son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Breck) Hetzke. He served his country in the United States Air Force... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 William John Adair, Sr., age 74, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Visitation will be held from... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Two of three rodeo horses were killed or had to be put down following an accident early Saturday morning. Undersheriff Bobby Johnson said that rodeo performer Donald Culpepper, Poulan, Ga., had made a make-shift electric fence for his horses at the Linn County Fairgrounds.... [More]
The city of Parker will be contacting Linn County about concrete surfacing assistance at an intersection that receives heavy truck traffic. At last Thursday’s monthly council meeting, Mayor Cody Adams responded to a patron complaint that asphalt surfacing at the intersection... [More]
Approves a change to the tax incentive program The Pleasanton City Council took several policies and policy changes under consideration at their Aug. 15 meeting. The first of these policies is the Neighborhood Culvert Replacement Program (NCRP) which would grant... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Farm Bureau Association hosted the annual pedal pull for kids age 4 to 12 at the Linn County fairgrounds on the evening of Aug. 12. Trophies were given to the top three pullers in each age group along with the opportunity to compete in the Kansas State Pedal... [More]
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks fish biologist Don George once again assisted with hosting the annual fishing derby at the Linn County fairgrounds on the morning of Aug. 13. Like in the past, the derby was divided into three age groups, 4-7, 8-10, and 11-16. Awards... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com