Linn County News
Published May 13, 2020
Harriet E. Stanley, age 72, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Friday, May 8, 2020. She was born on Dec. 27, 1947, in El Dorado Springs, Mo., the daughter of Lawrence W. and Elsie H. Beck Melton. She graduated from Washington High School in the Class of 1965.
Harriet was united in marriage to Forrest Ronald Stanley on Feb. 4, 1967, at St. Patrick’s Church in Kansas City, Kan. Over the years she was a beautician and worked in several office settings. She attended the Mound City First Baptist Church. She was active in the Kansas City, Kan., Jaycee Jaynes chapter and was a past president and still active in the Hewitt-New Post #248 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary. She was a homemaker who enjoyed cooking, crocheting, and caring for her family and friends. In her free time she enjoyed bowling, golfing, and attending her children’s and grandchildren’s activities.
She was preceded in death by her parents; three brothers, Roy, Billy Joe, and David Melton; and two sisters, Betty Ann McLaughlin, and Kathy Mattila.
Harriet is survived by her husband Ron; two sons, James Stanley and wife Bridget, and Eric Stanley and wife Deidra; two brothers, Johnny and Larry Melton; two sisters, Yvonne Savner and Mary Roche; four grandchildren, Dylan, Zoe, Kaliann, and Madison; and two great-grandchildren, Mateo and Holden.
A graveside service for Harriet will be held at 1 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, 2020, at Woodland Cemetery, Mound City, Kan. There will be a drive-thru visitation from 5 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 13, 2020, at Mound City First Baptist Church. The family suggests contributions to Mound City First Baptist Church or Hewitt-New Post #248 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary in care of Schneider Funeral Home, Mound City Chapel, P.O. Box J, Mound City, Kan. 66056. Friends and family are encouraged to leave online condolences at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published April , 2020 Howard "Carl" Francis, age 87, Blue Mound, Kan. passed away on Thursday, March 26, 2020. He was born on May 7, 1932 in Blue Mound, Kan. the son of Lonnie and Vesta Hopewell Francis. He graduated from... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020 Margaret Alice Wilson, age 87, Paola, Kan. passed away on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020. She was born on February 15, 1933 in Cass County, Mo. the daughter of Henry Earl(Ramey) Russell and Olive Darlene... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
- Linda Lee Ross 08-30-1941 to 05-28-2020
- Darlene McCoy 02-05-1929 to 05-27-2020
- Leslie Dell “L.D.” Murray 10-12-1926 to 05-25-2020
- Doris Louise (Dresker) Phillips 10-03-1922 to 05-15-2020
- Diane Jackson 02-13-1954 to 05-12-2020
- John Russell Baucom 09-04-1953 to 04-24-2020
- Nancy Doreen Brindle 02-26-1954 to 04-21-2020
- Jason Walker “Jake” McCullough 06-25-1975 to 05-03-2020
Holding a special meeting Thursday, May 21, the County Commissioners discussed the Linn County Justice Center and the cost the construction management team River City Construction came up with after receiving electrical bids. After a large increase in electrical bids, the commissioners... [More]
The County Commission and the Local Health Officer of Linn County, Kan., were recently the defendants in a Federal Lawsuit initiated by two Linn County residents and the Kansas Justice Institute, a law firm heavily involved in seeking out publicity through taking on high... [More]
Allen resigns Public Health Officer position By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Following the lockdown of Linn County earlier in March due to COVID-19 and subsequent orders to continue the stay-at-home orders by the governor and local authorities... [More]
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
- SPECIAL: ORDER of the Linn County Public Health Officer
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
It is prime fishing time so let’s look at the KDWPT fishing reports for Linn County. La Cygne Reservoir Currently channel, blue and flathead catfishing is good at La Cygne. The fish are being caught on sunfish, cut shad, worms, prepared baits and livers.... [More]
The Lady Jays had a rough season last year and only won a couple of games. They were also eliminated in the first round of their regional tournament. However, this season the girls were hoping to make some improvements to put them in a better spot, but they did not get... [More]
- The Chiefs’ off-season: the draft
- The Lost Season: Pleasanton track
- The Lost Season: Prairie View baseball
- 2019-2020 All County girls’ basketball team
- Wellsville loss finishes Lady Buffs’ season
- Jayhawk boys fall just short to Yates Center in sub-state tournament
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club takes 10 wrestlers to State
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round