Linn County News
Published Sept. 28, 2022
James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach.
He attended grade school in Iola. He graduated from Erie High School. He then attended Labette Community College to play baseball. After an injury, he decided he liked football better. So he continued his athletic career at Independence Community College to play football. After Indy, he went to Morningside College in Iowa to continue playing football. Pittsburg State University was Randy’s next stop. He received his major in Biology with a minor in physical science. While at Pitt he played football, competed in track and field, and was on the Pitt State Rugby Team. He later played semi-pro rugby for the Kansas City Blues. Randy’s final education destination was Mid America Nazarene College where he received a Master’s degree in education and major/concentration in technology enhanced teaching.
He was united in marriage to Jennifer Johnson on Feb. 17, 1996. Randy and Jennifer welcomed two children after their union in marriage: Wesley and Carley. Randy was a coach, educator, mentor and friend to many.
He was preceded in death by his parents, and his dog Shirley Pearl. Randy is survived by his wife, Jennifer; in-laws Charley and Mary Kay Johnson; son, James Wesley Leach and fiancé Tree Mulkin and her sister, MaLinda Henson; daughter, Carley and husband Micah Mayberry; granddaughter and best friend Dru James Mayberry; three sisters, Rictoria Bober (Paul), Sherry Fejfar (Shane), and Shelly Thorp (Mike); a brother, Robin Leach (Lisa); sister in-law DeAnn and Jeff Dawson.
Coach Leach influenced so many people in his life here on earth and was blessed to know so many.
A Celebration of Randy’s Life will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022, at Jayhawk Linn High School. Memorial contributions are suggested to Jayhawk Linn Athletics or Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
Linn County News Published November 23, 2022 Christina A. Creighton Turner, 84, passed away Nov. 19, 2022. She was born Dec. 8, 1937 in Centerville, Kan., to Eva Shafer and Roy Bowman. On Dec. 18, 1955, she married John Creighton; they had four children together before his... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Edgar Wayne Moon, age 82 of La Cygne, Kan., passed away at his home on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. He was born the son of Chester and Evelyn (Van Liew) Moon on Aug. 14, 1940, in Lawrence, Kan. Edgar married Betty Talley on... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Timothy Wayne Foxworth, age 62, Mound City, Kan., passed away Thursday, Nov. 10, 2022. A gathering to celebrate Tim’s life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory,... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Market Street is a proposed path between La Cygne coal, Wolf Creek nuclear plants Representatives from a Kansas City engineering firm last week presented plans for an Evergy underground conduit-cased fiber optics cable preliminarily proposed to run through La Cygne.... [More]
The Linn County Commissioners recessed their Nov. 21 meeting and opened a meeting of the Board of Canvassers for the purpose of canvassing the Nov. 8 election. With Commissioner Rick James absent, the commissioners opted to appoint Darin Wilson as the third member of the Board... [More]
WICHITA — PBS Kansas Channel 8 honored four veterans and one business that serves veterans at its 8th Annual Veterans Coming Home Salute on Nov. 5, 2022 at the Wichita Marriott. This event honored Kansas veterans who demonstrated outstanding service to their country, fellow... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The 2022 cross country season has concluded and now it is time to recognize some of the top local runners in the sport this season. The Prairie View girls’ cross country team had multiple good runners on it and one great runner. The girls just missed making it to State... [More]
The Pleasanton and Jayhawk-Linn football teams are well represented in the 2022 11-man Three Rivers League All League selections. The Hawks make up 16 selections between first team and honorable mention while the Jays make up 10 selections between first team and honorable mention.... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com