James Walter Meech, age 62, passed away Monday, Sept. 2, 2019, with his wife, kids and close friends near, on his farm home near Fort Scott, Kan., after a battle with Gliosarcoma brain cancer. Jim was born April 18, 1957, in Fort Scott, the son of Dennis Walter and Estella E. (Gier) Meech.
He married Marita Miller on Sept. 8, 1984, in Fort Scott. They have two children, which he was extremely proud of, Elizabeth Marie Meech and John W. (JW) Meech.
As a young adult, Jim worked in the mechanic shop at Midwestern Distribution and Charlie Griffiths Cattle and also hauled cattle for Bob Walrod at Fort Scott Livestock on weekends.
Over the years, he enjoyed pulling his International 1066 farm tractor at local tractor pulls and was proud of his kids competing in pedal tractor pulls when they were young at the local, state, national and international levels. Jim beamed with pride when he talked about his kids’ horse and rodeo accomplishments.
Farming was deep in Jim’s blood. He was a very successful farmer, as he spent his entire life farming and ranching in Bourbon and Linn counties. Beginning after his graduation in 1975 from Fort Scott High School, Jim worked with his family on Triple M Farms, until his dad’s passing in 1992. From 1992-2012, Jim was a partner in Meech Brothers Farms. Since 2013, Jim worked/operated Jim Meech Farms with his wife, Marita.
Jim is survived by his wife, Marita, of the home; a daughter, Elizabeth Meech, Borger, Texas, and son JW Meech, Canyon, Texas; his mother-in-law, Venita Miller, Kincaid, Kan.; paternal aunts, Itha Jean and husband Harold Turntine, and Jewell Ross, Topeka, Kan.; and maternal aunts, Lela Ann Gier, Fort Scott, and Geneva Gier, Girard, Kan. Also surviving are several nieces, nephews and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his father, Dennis W. Meech; his paternal grandparents, Juell Walter Meech and Elsie May Finney Meech, and his uncle, Billy G. Meech; and his maternal grandparents, Oscar and Lizzie Goff Gier, his aunt, Opal Gier, and his uncles, Charles and Merle Gier.
Funeral services will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home, Pleasanton, Kan. Burial will be in the Glendale Cemetery near Hammond, Kan. Visitation will be held from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 6, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home in Pleasanton.
The family suggests contributions to the Jim Meech Farmers/Ranchers in Health Crisis Fund. Online condolences for the family can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com . Arrangements: Schneider Funerals, Pleasanton.
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Anna Mae Carrel, 98, Nevada, Mo., passed away on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022, at Menorah Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Anna was born Nov. 4, 1924, in Mound City, Kan., to Fred M. and Mary C. (Hollister) Smith. She was united in... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Kathryn Elaine "Kathy" Newcome passed away Thursday Dec. 1, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 5, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial in the Richland Cemetery. Visitation will... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Linda S. Rios, age 63, of Mound City, Kan., passed away in Olathe, Kan., on Nov. 14, 2022. There are no services scheduled. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfuneral.com.
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
NOTICE: There will be a blood drive at the Catholic Hall in Mound City from 1 to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 13
In a sentencing hearing set for Friday, Dec. 2, Robert Woody III appeared in Linn County District Court in front of Judge Andrea Purvis, but instead of sentencing being handed down, the defense requested a continuance. Defense counsel Craig Cole noted his client had just brought... [More]
Discussions at Monday’s Linn County Commissioner’s meeting turned to the landfill issue and the fact that, as it currently sits, the landfill is only a year and half out from closing. During Monday’s discussions, Linn County Public Works Administrator Shaun... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View wrestling team traveled to Pleasant Hill on Dec. 2 and 3 to compete in the Steve Leslie Invitational. The boys’ team had three wrestlers place in the top four while the girls’ team had two wrestlers place in the top four. Kimmy Eastwood wrestled... [More]
Pleasanton basketball teams began their season Friday with a split varsity decision at Prairie Village-Kansas City Christian (KCC), the girls winning 39-19 while the boys took a 60-31 loss. Both teams now have two games upcoming at this week’s early-season round-robin... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com