John Gary Ballou
02-04-1947 to 09-18-2019
Linn County News
Published Sept. 25, 2019
John Gary Ballou, age 72, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019, at his home. He was born Feb. 4, 1947, to Robert Oliver Ballou and Wilma Jean Gray Ballou (who passed away a few days after his birth) in Kansas City, Mo. He was raised by his father and mother, Cecile Hyacinthe Reed Ballou, who adopted him at about 15 months.
John graduated in 1965 from Southwest High School in Kansas City, Mo. He received a B.S. in chemistry from the University of Kansas.
He married Debra Jean Pile Ballou, his high school sweetheart, in 1969.
John served in the Kansas Air National Guard from 1970-1976. John worked for the Union Pacific Railroad and Farmland Industries in Kansas City. John and Debby moved from Kansas City to Amsterdam, Mo., when John went to work for Kansas City Power and Light in 1972.
John and Debby soon bought 80 acres in rural Pleasanton. He built their home here, and they raised their daughter, Lori, who was born in 1976. In 2002, he retired from Kansas City Power and Light after nearly 30 years.
After surviving cancer, John and Debby completed their travels to all 50 states together.
John is survived by his wife, Debby, of 50 years; his daughter, Lori Ann Ballou Stahlman and husband Justin; grandchildren Cole (16) and Aubrey (12) of Concordia, Kan.; his half-sister, Anne Ballou Piccinini, of Lee’s Summit, Mo.; and other extended family members.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a baby brother, Robert Oliver Ballou Junior.
According to John’s wishes he was cremated, and a private family graveside gathering will take place at a later date at Eureka Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to the American Cancer Society c/o Schneider Funeral Home, PO Box 525, Pleasanton, KS 66075. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published April , 2020 Howard "Carl" Francis, age 87, Blue Mound, Kan. passed away on Thursday, March 26, 2020. He was born on May 7, 1932 in Blue Mound, Kan. the son of Lonnie and Vesta Hopewell Francis. He graduated from... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020 Margaret Alice Wilson, age 87, Paola, Kan. passed away on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020. She was born on February 15, 1933 in Cass County, Mo. the daughter of Henry Earl(Ramey) Russell and Olive Darlene... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
- Leslie Dell “L.D.” Murray 10-12-1926 to 05-25-2020
- Doris Louise (Dresker) Phillips 10-03-1922 to 05-15-2020
- Diane Jackson 02-13-1954 to 05-12-2020
- John Russell Baucom 09-04-1953 to 04-24-2020
- Harriet E. Stanley 12-27-1947 to 05-08-2020
- Nancy Doreen Brindle 02-26-1954 to 04-21-2020
- Jason Walker “Jake” McCullough 06-25-1975 to 05-03-2020
- Mary Sue Kepner Fountain 05-26-1934 to 04-18-2020
Holding a special meeting Thursday, May 21, the County Commissioners discussed the Linn County Justice Center and the cost the construction management team River City Construction came up with after receiving electrical bids. After a large increase in electrical bids, the commissioners... [More]
The County Commission and the Local Health Officer of Linn County, Kan., were recently the defendants in a Federal Lawsuit initiated by two Linn County residents and the Kansas Justice Institute, a law firm heavily involved in seeking out publicity through taking on high... [More]
Allen resigns Public Health Officer position By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Following the lockdown of Linn County earlier in March due to COVID-19 and subsequent orders to continue the stay-at-home orders by the governor and local authorities... [More]
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
- SPECIAL: ORDER of the Linn County Public Health Officer
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
It is prime fishing time so let’s look at the KDWPT fishing reports for Linn County. La Cygne Reservoir Currently channel, blue and flathead catfishing is good at La Cygne. The fish are being caught on sunfish, cut shad, worms, prepared baits and livers.... [More]
The Lady Jays had a rough season last year and only won a couple of games. They were also eliminated in the first round of their regional tournament. However, this season the girls were hoping to make some improvements to put them in a better spot, but they did not get... [More]
- The Chiefs’ off-season: the draft
- The Lost Season: Pleasanton track
- The Lost Season: Prairie View baseball
- 2019-2020 All County girls’ basketball team
- Wellsville loss finishes Lady Buffs’ season
- Jayhawk boys fall just short to Yates Center in sub-state tournament
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club takes 10 wrestlers to State
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round