Linn County News
Published Aug. 10, 2022
Larry Sumners, age 68, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at the Overland Park Regional Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan.
Laurence A. Sumners was born on Aug. 16, 1953, at McPherson, Kan. He was the sixth of eight children born to George Richard Sumners and Lois Audrey (Clark) Sumners.
As a boy, Larry's family lived in Blue Mound, Kan., and Lamar, Colo., before Larry moved to Centerville in the late 1960s. He then graduated from Prairie View High School with the class of 1972.
On September 23, 1972, Larry was united in marriage to Martha Gale Croan at Centerville. Their union was blessed with five children (some of the time). Throughout his working years Larry worked as a truck driver, welder and as a mechanic. He was always a mechanic whether it was his job description or not. In 2015 Larry retired as a welder at Taylor Forge, Paola, Kan., after working there since 2000. He also served as a volunteer fireman for the Centerville Fire Department for many years.
Larry was always willing to lend a hand to anyone in need, sometimes that translated to loaning parts from his family's cars to get someone else's car back on the road. In his free time he enjoyed catfishing, and visiting with friends and family or even total strangers. Once he was blessed with grandbabies he was all about everything to do with them; watching TV with them, giving four wheeler rides, fishing, swimming or taking a nap with them. He especially loved taking the grandkids to the fair and enjoying the rides with them.
Larry's breakfasts and practical jokes will be missed by his family. The grandchildren will miss Papo because they knew they could get almost anything they wanted from him. Larry loved music, except for rap, his love turned into dancing after a few beers.
He was preceded in death by his son, Evan on Sept. 14, 2002; grandson, Tyler Sumners; his parents; two brothers, George and Richard; and two sisters, Allene Welch and Vicky Thompson.
Larry is survived by his wife of 49 years, Martha Gale Sumners of the home; four children and their families, Audrey Schuster of Centerville, Brad Sumners and wife, Kimberly of Osawatomie, Kan., Christina Sumners and fiance, Brad Kerr of Parker, Kan., Denna Dawes and husband, Melvin of Inman, Kan.; 14 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and three sisters, Joan Higgins of Hermitage, Mo., Patty Higgins and husband, Steve of Phoenix, Ariz., and Rosie Sandoval and husband, Mike of Hillsdale, Kan.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2022, at the Feuerborn Family Funeral Service, Garnett, Kan. Burial will follow in the Centerville Cemetery. Larry's family will greet friends from 6-8 p.m., Tuesday evening at the funeral home in Garnett.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Larry Sumners memorial fund and left in care of the funeral home. Condolences may be sent to the family at www.feuerbornfuneral.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach. He attended grade school... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Kristina Dawn Weers-Colin, 42, of Parker, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, at Advent Health Medical Center, Shawnee, Kan. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, at Bucyrus Cemetery, Bucyrus,... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Norma Jane Johnson Surbaugh, age 80, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept., 26, 2022, in Louisburg, Kan. She was born the only child of Norman Everett and Alberta Frances Reed Johnson on Jan. 19, 1942, at the Trinity... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
General mid-term election, ballot set for Nov. 8 Advance voting will begin Oct. 25 and precinct polling locations will be open from 7 a.m-7 p.m. Nov. 8 for this year’s mid-term general election. Oct. 18 is the in-person, online, and postmark if by mail deadline... [More]
During their meeting on Oct. 3, the Mound City Council discussed several water bill issues. The lead discussion was the water bill at 619 Main. City Clerk Shelby Murray stated that the property owner had rented it out and the tenant had left a bill of almost $500 and the owner... [More]
UPDATE: The original number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been restored. The staff there thanks everyone for their patience. The phone number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been compromised and they are awaiting new service. In the meantime,... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
After the Jays’ first loss of the season to Olpe last week, the Jays got back on track with a dominant performance against Southeast Cherokee. Pleasanton hosted Southeast on Sept. 30 for their Homecoming and had zero problems with the Lancers as they won the... [More]
The Prairie View football team hosted Girard on Sept. 30 for a district game against a very good Girard team. The Buffalos were outmatched by the Trojans and lost the game 41-8. Girard established their dominance early with a 21 point first quarter. The Trojans scored on... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org