Linn County News
Published Aug. 25, 2021
LaVerne Frances McGee, age 92, Mound City, Kan., formerly of Centerville, Kan., passed away Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021. She was born on Feb. 14, 1929, in Coyle, Okla., the daughter of Arthur and Vonnie Morgan Lamb. She spent her younger years in Oklahoma and moved to the Wall Street area in her teens. She graduated from Mound City High School. She was united in marriage to Earnest McGee on June 27, 1948, in the Wall Street Christian Church. He preceded her in death on Dec. 29, 2007.
LaVerne worked at different occupations. These included school teacher and insurance agent at Town and Country and working beside Earnest as they owned Centerville Feed and Supply. She was a longtime active member in the Wall Street Christian Church. Laverne loved to garden and can vegetables, and had an orchard that her husband Earnest put in for her on their farm. She was known for her baking skills and made a grand champion angel food cake that was a family favorite at events and special occasions.
LaVerne valued her family. She enjoyed getting together every year for the Lamb August Birthday Dinner and at Christmas with her very large extended family on both the Lamb and McGee sides of the family. She loved her children and grandchildren devotedly, and she and Earnest set an example that will be carried down to generations of their family in the future.
LaVerne loved the Lord. She taught Sunday school for many years at Wall Street Christian Church where she attended since she moved to Linn County as a teenager.
She was also preceded in death by a son, Ronald McGee; a daughter, Marsha Daves; and a sister, Glenda Ball. LaVerne is survived by a son, Marion McGee and wife Theresa, Blue Mound; daughter-in-law, Valerie “Muff” McGee, Yates Center; a brother, LeRoy Lamb (Nadine), Mound City; two sisters, Voneta Lewis, Fort Scott, and Marjorie Campbell, Raymore, Mo.; sister-in-law, Ada Gray, Shawnee; brother-in-law, Leonard McGee (Myra), Purdy, Mo.; seven grandchildren, Amber Schleicher (Eric), Lucas Daves, Rebecca Rousar (Matt), Nathaniel McGee (Amanda), Melanie McKay (Matt), Kyle McGee (Rachel) and Brett McGee (Niki); eight great-grandchildren, Ethan Schleicher, Grace Schleicher, Ezra Rousar, Cece Rousar, Harper McGee, Elliette McGee, Miles McKay and Carson McGee, with another great-grandbaby due in December; and numerous other cousins, nieces and nephews.
Funeral service will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021, at the Wall Street Christian Church. Burial will follow in the Sunny Slope Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2021, at the church. Memorial contributions are suggested to the Wall Street Christian Church or the American Heart Association c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box J, Mound City, Kan. 66056. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
Possible April vote would make nepotism additions A vote may occur next month on broadening a Unified School District 362 nepotism policy as urged by its superintendent. At the monthly board of education meeting earlier this month, Rex Bollinger, Ed.D., laid out... [More]
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
- Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com