Linn County News
Published Sept. 26, 2018
Marie Ellington (Stiffler) Anderson, age 102, of Garnett, Kan., passed away on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018, at the Residential Living Center in Garnett. She was born Sept. 21, 1916, near Centerville, Kan., the daughter of Clyde and Lou (McGee) Ellington.
Marie married Wm. “Bill” Stiffler in 1933, and this union was blessed with three children, Barbara, Nancy and Phil. He preceded her in death on Sept. 6, 1973, in a farm accident. She then married Claude Anderson in 1975; he preceded her in death on Jan. 26, 1988.
Marie and Bill owned the Stiffler Grain Co. in Centerville for 17 years.
She was a member of the Garnett First United Methodist Church. Marie was a former Worthy Matron of the Parker, Kan., Chapter of Eastern Star. In 1992, she received her 50-year Eastern Star pin and in 2017 her 75-year pin. Her hobbies included quilting, sewing, painting and crafting. No matter how busy she always had time for family and friends.
She was preceded in death by her parents Clyde and Lou Ellington; husbands Bill Stiffler and Claude Anderson; two brothers, Eldon Ellington and Arlo Ellington; two sisters, Leora Brownback and Audrey Drake; son-in-law Earle Stroup; stepson Rick Anderson; stepdaughter Emajeane (Jeanie); and grandson Tommy Welsh.
Marie is survived by her daughters, Barbara Welsh and husband Tom of Garnett, Nancy Dodson and husband Billy of Broken Bow, Okla., and son Philip Stiffler and his wife Lisa of Platte City, Mo.; stepsons Sonny Anderson of Garnett and Bob Anderson and wife Carolyn of Topeka; and stepdaughter Lauree Wright of Garnett. She was blessed with 10 grandchildren, many step grandchildren, great grandchildren and several great, great grandchildren.
A Celebration of Life will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018, at Feuerborn Family Funeral Service Chapel located at 219 S. Oak St., Garnett. The family will greet friends at a luncheon prior to the service beginning at 12:30 p.m. at the Garnett United Methodist Church located at 205 S. Oak St., Garnett.
Remembrances may be made in the form desired by family and friends. You may send your condolences to the family at www.feuerbornfuneral.com
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com