Max Gordon Byerley, age 102, of Parker, Kan., passed away Monday, March 6, 2017, at Hospice House in Olathe, Kan.
“Mick,” as he was known to all, was born to William and Louisa Antoinette (Willis) Byerley on Feb. 16, 1915. He was a lifelong resident of Linn County, Kan., and lived south of Goodrich for many years but has called Parker home since 1973.
Mick grew up in a world without electricity or any other modern convenience. He spent his days playing baseball, swimming, hunting and fishing. He and his four older siblings enjoyed having walnut and corn cob fights with their father who was reputedly able to throw a walnut around the corner of the barn.
He married Gertrude Delores Jackson in 1935 and together they had two children, Byron Eugene “Gene” Byerley and Katherine Delores (Byerley) Stanley. Gertrude passed away in 1971 after a prolonged battle with cancer.
Mick married Doris Virginia (Stainbrook) Kehl in 1973, and they enjoyed 39 years together until her death in 2010.
Mick was a farmer and rancher all of his life. He told stories of the “Dirty Thirties” when dust storms killed most of the crops and grasshoppers ate the rest … then they ate the fence posts. He owned cattle until he was well into his 90s when kidney failure forced him to retire in 2008. He then defied the doctor’s prognosis, and his kidneys resumed functioning after nearly a year on dialysis.
He loved to play pitch, dominoes, Yahtzee or any other game that gave him a chance to spend time with family and friends. He lived on his own in Parker until congestive heart failure caused his admittance to Hospice House on Feb. 27.
Mick was preceded in death by his parents, William and Louisa; his siblings, Nellie, Harry, John and Warren; his wives, Gertrude and Virginia; his son, Byron Eugene “Gene”; and stepdaughters Anne Shulista and Tracey Kehl.
He is survived by his daughter, Katherine Stanley and husband Charles of Centerville, Kan.; stepsons Larry Kehl and wife Loretta of Parker, and Allen Kehl and wife Cathy of Russellville, Ark.; his grandchildren, Ron Stanley of Centerville, Katherine “Betsy” Hamilton and husband Eli of Stafford, Va., John Byerley of Mesa, Ariz., and Anita Burdge and husband Robert of Paola, Kan.; and six great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren and many other family and friends.
Funeral services were held Friday, March 10, 2017, at Centerville Community Church. Burial followed in the Goodrich Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Parker (Kan.) Heritage Park or to Hospice House of Olathe, https://www.olathehealth.org/Donations#.WL4J4H9diMV.
You may send your condolences to the family at www.feuerbornfuneral.com.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
Marais des Cygnes National Wildlife Refuge is celebrating National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th by inviting the public to come out and walk with a ranger for a preview of our new trail. The Visitor Center and new exhibits will be open form 4-6 PM and... [More]
SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
MIAMI & LINN COUNTY – On Wednesday morning, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI), the Miami County Sheriff’s Office, the Linn County Sheriff’s Office, the Osawatomie Police Department, and the Pleasanton Police Department arrested six individuals... [More]
Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
After meetings discussing the Linn County Comprehensive Plan and where the county should be as to allowing wind turbines, the Linn County P&Z said no 5-3 to allowing any turbines in the county. P&Z Commission Chair Richard Morrell brought the subject up after several... [More]
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
- Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
- County discusses options for Pleasanton meal site
- Parker leaders consider truck route
- Council approves land grant for riding academy
2022-23 All County Boys’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school boys’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Boys’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools, Prairie... [More]
2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school girls’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Girls’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools,... [More]
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
- Lady Hawks double up Altoona
- Pleasanton basketball defeats Bronaugh, falls to Cherokee
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org