Linn County News
Published Aug. 10, 2022
Merle A. Beckman, age 86, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022. He was born in rural La Cygne, Kan., on Oct. 5, 1935, the son of Charles and Neeva (Neal) Beckman. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1954.
He began a career in the auto industry in 1957, in a sales position with Kipper Chevrolet in Pleasanton, Kan. In 1977, he began working at Pointer Motors in Garnett, Kan. He bought the dealership in 1983 and acquired Anderson Ford in 1988; the two becoming Beckman Motors. He was involved in the business until 2017.
Merle was united in marriage to Gloria Daly on March 2, 1961. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge in Mound City, the Scottish Rite and Mirza Temple in Pittsburg, Kan. Merle loved his family, even though he might not have verbalized it. He had a passion for pulling horses. He and longtime friend, Kendall Hutton, began pulling ponies in 1962. Before the duo’s career was finished, they pulled ponies and draft horses in eight different states and amassed thousands of miles together. Merle won the Kansas State Fair pulling match in Hutchinson for seven straight years, six of them with the famous team of Bonnie and Clyde. Total, he won eighty-three matches with that team.
He was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers, Bernard, Elmer, Lisle, and Seth Beckman; two sisters, Gladys Lane and Fern Bazules; and one grandson, Brant Beckman.
Merle is survived by his wife, Gloria; four sons, Raymond Beckman (Lori), Richard Beckman (Lauri), Rande Beckman (Sharon), and Cleve Beckman (Brenda); a daughter, Chilesa Bruner (Van); a sister, Edna Debrick; a great-nephew, Ronnie Beckman; sister in law and running partner, Joyce and Kendall Hutton; sixteen grandchildren; twenty four great-grandchildren and one on the way.
A gathering to celebrate Merle’s life will be held 5 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel. Contributions are suggested to Children’s Mercy Hospital. Online condolences can be left at www.s
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach. He attended grade school... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Kristina Dawn Weers-Colin, 42, of Parker, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, at Advent Health Medical Center, Shawnee, Kan. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, at Bucyrus Cemetery, Bucyrus,... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Norma Jane Johnson Surbaugh, age 80, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept., 26, 2022, in Louisburg, Kan. She was born the only child of Norman Everett and Alberta Frances Reed Johnson on Jan. 19, 1942, at the Trinity... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
General mid-term election, ballot set for Nov. 8 Advance voting will begin Oct. 25 and precinct polling locations will be open from 7 a.m-7 p.m. Nov. 8 for this year’s mid-term general election. Oct. 18 is the in-person, online, and postmark if by mail deadline... [More]
During their meeting on Oct. 3, the Mound City Council discussed several water bill issues. The lead discussion was the water bill at 619 Main. City Clerk Shelby Murray stated that the property owner had rented it out and the tenant had left a bill of almost $500 and the owner... [More]
UPDATE: The original number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been restored. The staff there thanks everyone for their patience. The phone number for Linn County Veterinary Clinic has been compromised and they are awaiting new service. In the meantime,... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
After the Jays’ first loss of the season to Olpe last week, the Jays got back on track with a dominant performance against Southeast Cherokee. Pleasanton hosted Southeast on Sept. 30 for their Homecoming and had zero problems with the Lancers as they won the... [More]
The Prairie View football team hosted Girard on Sept. 30 for a district game against a very good Girard team. The Buffalos were outmatched by the Trojans and lost the game 41-8. Girard established their dominance early with a 21 point first quarter. The Trojans scored on... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com