Robert Dale Avery
12-26-1931 to 02-11-2020
Linn County News
Published Feb. 19, 2020
Robert Dale Avery, age 88, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, at St. Joseph Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. Dale was born the son of Harry and Alpha Mae Miller Avery on Dec. 26, 1931, on the home place back in the hollow at Prescott, Kan.
Dale graduated from Prescott High School in 1949. His parents thought he should go to college, so off to Kansas State he went and attended for one year. But it was not the farm, so he went back home to help his parents. He decided to give oil work a shot, moved to Wichita and worked at Cessna for a year. Again, it was not farming so back home he came.
In 1951, he enlisted into the Navy Reserves and served for eight years.
On June 29, 1958, he married Joan Staton at the Baptist Church in Prescott. To this union two daughters were born, Janet and Dorothy. To this day, Dale and Joan still lived on the farm.
Dale helped organize the Linn County Co-op and was on the first board; over the years he served four different terms. He also served on many different boards – Linn County Farm Bureau, Linn County Soil Conservation, president of the Linn County Planning Board, Linn County Rural Water District No.2 – and helped organize the Linn County Polled Hereford Association and served as president and secretary over the years.
Dale took farming as a full-time job; he taught his wife, daughters and grandkids how to use the machinery and drive the tractors. He did not take many trips, but he did surprise Joan on their 42nd and 45th anniversaries with trips to Alaska and Hawaii.
Dale was preceded in death by his parents; brother Earl and wife Mary; and his in-laws, Pete and Marie Staton.
He is survived by his wife Joan of 61 1/2 years, of the home; two daughters, Janet Gabbert and Wayne of Prescott, and Dorothy of Pleasanton; five grandchildren; and five great grandchildren with a sixth on the way.
Funeral service was Friday, Feb. 14, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial was at the Battlefield Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to Mid America Heart Association, St. Luke’s or your church of choice. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967... [More]
- Richard Scott Craig 10-30-1945 to 02-17-2020
- Jerome Vernon “Jerry” Morgan 05-09-1941 to 01-31-2020
- Robert Dale Pennington 07-18-1937 to 02-16-2020
- David Earl Cummings 09-08-1953 to 02-13-2020
- Sidney A. McKnight Jr. 12-20-1940 to 12-16-2019
- Robert Dean “Bob” King 08-23-1934 to 02-12-2020
- Richard Butts 06-04-1935 to 02-05-2020
- Cecil Ray Taylor 12-14-1936 to 02-04-2020
At issue is access authority at scrapyard site Parker city leaders tabled a question of roadway authority and access at the council’s monthly meeting last Thursday. At question is the non-platted South Walnut Street south of South Street that... [More]
County discusses other departments needing the software After a long discussion last week that the County Commissioners wanted to see County Attorney James Brun in the county more, he told them this week that he is purchasing Westlaw, an online legal... [More]
Grade 8-12 offerings will enable more certifications, gain extra funding Numerous courses, mainly at Prairie View High, will be renamed or initiated in action taken by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their Feb. 10 monthly meeting.... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Prairie View girls’ wrestling team traveled to Paola on Feb. 14-15 to compete in the East Regional to determine who would go to the girls’ State Tournament in Salina on Feb. 27. The Buffalos took five wrestlers to the tournament, and two of... [More]
The Pleasanton basketball teams hosted their Senior-Parent Night against Oswego on Feb. 11. It was a good night for the Jays as both the boys and girls won their respective games. The girls won 34-24 while the boys won their game 69-47. The girls’ game... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track