Linn County News
Published Feb. 13, 2019
Verl Ray Jones, born on March 22, 1929, in Pleasanton, Kan., passed away at the age of 89 on Oct. 22, 2018, in Lakewood, Colo.
Verl is survived by his wife, Linda Jones; former wife, Shirley Leisure Jones; daughters Patricia Marquis and Linda (Lee) Eberle; granddaughters Susan (Eli Citron) Swan and Sheila Swan; three great grandchildren, Madison Citron, Dillon Garcia and Chevelle Flores; sisters Phyllis Reid and Norma Adams; brother Leon Jones; three stepchildren; eight step grandchildren; three step great grandchildren; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Leonard and Hazel (Harris) Jones; brother Elvin Jones; brother Gerald Jones; and sister Reta Arnold.
Verl graduated high school in 1947 and worked as a linotype operator for over 20 years, starting in his home town of Pleasanton at the Observer Enterprise and then in Craig, Colo., and Denver, Colo. He enjoyed working as an agent for American Family Insurance for 17 years in the Denver area. When he married his wife, Linda, in 1982, they moved from Denver and built a mountain home in Gilpin County, Colo., where Verl worked as the Gilpin County Building Inspector for several years. Verl loved mountain living.
A memorial service was held on Nov. 16, 2018, at Olinger Crown Hill Mortuary and Cemetery, 7777 W. 29th Ave., Wheat Ridge, Colo.
Donations may be made to the Alan Green Memorial Foundation, P.O. Box 575, Black Hawk, CO 80422, or St. James Methodist Church, 123 Eureka St., Central City, CO.
A full obituary, video and photos may be viewed at www.crownhillfuneral.com.
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Lawrence “Burt” Burton Holt, 80, of Lenexa, Kan., passed away on Dec. 1, 2021. Burt is survived by his wife, Sandra, and stepson, Curtis (Shelli); son, Dalton (Sherri), grandson, Tyler, and granddaughter,... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Patricia Pauline (Holt) Ratliff, 79, of Cameron, Mo., passed away Nov. 24, 2021. She was born Aug. 3, 1942, in Kansas City, Kan. She married Clifton Ray Ratliff on March 17, 2001, in Turney, Mo. Patricia is... [More]
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 Kristina Diane Roth, age 43, of Hesston, Kan., entered her heavenly home on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. Kris was born March 11, 1978, the daughter of Robert (Bob) and Diane Burnett in Garnett, Kan., and lived with her family in... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Going through bills at their Monday County Commission meeting, the commissioners approved two claims in the amount of $14,409.41 and $318,935.17 but questioned a bill in the amount of $7,500 paid last week to Debrick Truck Line of Paola for shipping an MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush... [More]
Republican candidate for state treasurer, state Sen. Caryn Tyson of rural Parker has received national recognition as legislator of the year for her leadership and work on Property Tax Transparency, Senate Bill (SB) 13. Tyson researched and led an effort in Kansas to stop automatic... [More]
Former Pleasanton City Council member Ginger Neal-Cox, 203 E. Fourth St., appeared before the Pleasanton Council Monday evening to inform them of an aggressive dog that bit her daughter in November and asked that the aggressive dog ordinance be stiffened. She said that on Nov.... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The Pleasanton basketball teams started their season on Dec. 3 with a home game against Kansas City Christian (KCC). The girls fed off a good defensive performance to win their game 36-18. KCC was too much for the boys, however, as they lost their game 70-35. The girls’... [More]
Jayhawk-Linn basketball teams lost competitive games in their season openers Friday at Cass-Midway, Mo. How each varsity team reached its final verdict, however, came from a different angle. Down by as many as 12 points halfway through the second quarter, the Lady Jayhawks... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org