Wallace “Wally” Jackson Callahan
04-14-1925 to 12-30-2019
Linn County News
Published Jan. 15, 2020
Wallace “Wally” Jackson Callahan was born April 14, 1925, in Deepwater, Henry County, Mo., to Marion L. and Vianna E. (Wallace) Callahan.
The family moved to Pleasanton, Kan., in 1938. He and his four brothers and one sister attended Antioch rural school, south of Pleasanton, and Pleasanton High School, where he graduated with honors in 1943. During his school years he had worked at a gas station and at the Pleasanton Depot where he learned telegraphy from Carl and Dick Teubner, which helped in future years as a Jungle Radio Operator in the Philippines.
In 1943 Wally joined the U.S. Marine Corps and served for three years during World War II in Eniwetok, Guam, and in the Philippines. He received three battle stars for his service, an honorable discharge and a ticket home in August 1946.
He returned to Kansas and worked for several years as a member of Iron Workers Local Union No. 10, at construction in the Kansas City area.
Wally was married to his first wife, Donna Baily, of Pleasanton. They had a son, Kenneth Bruce Callahan, who passed away in 2010.
In 1953 he worked in the real estate and insurance business. He was married in Kansas City to Doris (Burnett) Hulse, who passed away in 2007 in Arizona where he moved after his retirement in 1955.
In 2009 he was married to Esther Sniff who survives at their home in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he passed away on Dec. 30, 2019.
Wally was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers, Jerry, Olen, Bob and Lee; and three sisters, Vivian Steiner, Anna Fay Cowley and Ona Kathryn “Katy” Holmes.
On Jan. 7, 2020, funeral and burial services for Wally were held at Arizona National Memorial Cemetery, Phoenix, Ariz.
He is survived by two sisters, Ola May Earnest, Pleasanton, and Mary Lou Cox, Independence, Mo.; numerous nieces and nephews; and many friends.
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
- Richard Scott Craig 10-30-1945 to 02-17-2020
- Jerome Vernon “Jerry” Morgan 05-09-1941 to 01-31-2020
- Robert Dale Pennington 07-18-1937 to 02-16-2020
- David Earl Cummings 09-08-1953 to 02-13-2020
- Sidney A. McKnight Jr. 12-20-1940 to 12-16-2019
- Robert Dale Avery 12-26-1931 to 02-11-2020
- Robert Dean “Bob” King 08-23-1934 to 02-12-2020
- Richard Butts 06-04-1935 to 02-05-2020
At issue is access authority at scrapyard site Parker city leaders tabled a question of roadway authority and access at the council’s monthly meeting last Thursday. At question is the non-platted South Walnut Street south of South Street that... [More]
County discusses other departments needing the software After a long discussion last week that the County Commissioners wanted to see County Attorney James Brun in the county more, he told them this week that he is purchasing Westlaw, an online legal... [More]
Grade 8-12 offerings will enable more certifications, gain extra funding Numerous courses, mainly at Prairie View High, will be renamed or initiated in action taken by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their Feb. 10 monthly meeting.... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Pleasanton basketball teams hosted their Senior-Parent Night against Oswego on Feb. 11. It was a good night for the Jays as both the boys and girls won their respective games. The girls won 34-24 while the boys won their game 69-47. The girls’ game... [More]
The Prairie View girls’ wrestling team traveled to Paola on Feb. 14-15 to compete in the East Regional to determine who would go to the girls’ State Tournament in Salina on Feb. 27. The Buffalos took five wrestlers to the tournament, and two of... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track