Bruce Alan Boydston
08-14-1947 to 03-08-2020
Linn County News
Published March 11, 2020
Bruce Alan Boydston, age 72, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Sunday, March 8, 2020, surrounded by family on his farm. Bruce was born on Aug. 14, 1947, in Garnett, Kan., the son of Allie Angus Boydston Jr. and June Nadine (McCarty) Boydston.
He attended Parker Rural High School, graduating in 1965, and college at Allen Community College and Pittsburg State University. He then served in the Kansas National Guard from 1969 through 1975.
Bruce was united in marriage to Rita Eileen Drum on Dec. 6, 1969, at the First Christian Church in Garnett. This union blessed them with three wonderful children: Amy, Kerry and Brent. This winter, Bruce and Rita celebrated 50 years of marriage with all members of their wedding party attending a special dinner in Ottawa with family and close friends.
In 2013, Bruce retired from a 30-year career with Kansas Pipeline Operating Co., Olathe. His true love, however, was farming. He spent his entire life as an agriculturist caring for the land, raising cattle and growing crops.
Bruce was a vital part of his community serving as past master of Parker Masonic Lodge No. 341, Linn County Soil Conservation Service (SCS), Linn County Farm Service Agency (FSA) county committee, Prairie View High School Board of Education (12 years) and a Flying-C 4-H Club parent leader. He was a man of strong faith and loyally served the Centerville Community Church. His family bestowed “Honorary K-State Wildcat” status upon him after he paid 10 consecutive years of college tuition and lodging bills for his three kids. He loved his Wildcats and cherished the times he and his family spent tailgating, watching football at Bill Snyder Family Stadium and road-tripping to bowl games cheering on Wildcat victories.
He was preceded in death by his father, Allie Boydston Jr., on March 14, 1989.
Bruce is survived by his wife, Rita, of the home; and children Amy (Paul) Taylor, Overland Park, Kerry Wefald, Manhattan, and Brent (Alison) Boydston, O’Fallon, Mo. He also leaves behind eight special grandchildren: Lauren, Abigail and Ella Kate Taylor; Halle and Jonathan Wefald; and Beau, Emery and Lacey Boydston. He is also survived by his mother, Nadine Boydston, of Garnett; and his sister, Marsha (Fred) Baker, Overland Park.
A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 14, 2020, at the Centerville Community Church in Centerville. Bruce’s family will greet friends and family on Friday evening from 6-8 p.m. at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to Good Shepherd Hospice or Prairie Paws Animal Shelter and left in care of the funeral home. Condolences may be sent to the family at www.feuerbornfuneral.com.
Bruce was a true friend to many. He loved American history, his many dogs and cats, the game of basketball, playing pitch, watching old movies and drinking his Maker’s Mark.
He was a damn good man who will be missed greatly.
Linn County News Published November 23, 2022 Christina A. Creighton Turner, 84, passed away Nov. 19, 2022. She was born Dec. 8, 1937 in Centerville, Kan., to Eva Shafer and Roy Bowman. On Dec. 18, 1955, she married John Creighton; they had four children together before his... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Edgar Wayne Moon, age 82 of La Cygne, Kan., passed away at his home on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. He was born the son of Chester and Evelyn (Van Liew) Moon on Aug. 14, 1940, in Lawrence, Kan. Edgar married Betty Talley on... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Timothy Wayne Foxworth, age 62, Mound City, Kan., passed away Thursday, Nov. 10, 2022. A gathering to celebrate Tim’s life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory,... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Market Street is a proposed path between La Cygne coal, Wolf Creek nuclear plants Representatives from a Kansas City engineering firm last week presented plans for an Evergy underground conduit-cased fiber optics cable preliminarily proposed to run through La Cygne.... [More]
The Linn County Commissioners recessed their Nov. 21 meeting and opened a meeting of the Board of Canvassers for the purpose of canvassing the Nov. 8 election. With Commissioner Rick James absent, the commissioners opted to appoint Darin Wilson as the third member of the Board... [More]
WICHITA — PBS Kansas Channel 8 honored four veterans and one business that serves veterans at its 8th Annual Veterans Coming Home Salute on Nov. 5, 2022 at the Wichita Marriott. This event honored Kansas veterans who demonstrated outstanding service to their country, fellow... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The 2022 cross country season has concluded and now it is time to recognize some of the top local runners in the sport this season. The Prairie View girls’ cross country team had multiple good runners on it and one great runner. The girls just missed making it to State... [More]
The Pleasanton and Jayhawk-Linn football teams are well represented in the 2022 11-man Three Rivers League All League selections. The Hawks make up 16 selections between first team and honorable mention while the Jays make up 10 selections between first team and honorable mention.... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com