Linn County News
Published Aug. 5, 2020
Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr., age 93, passed away on July 29, 2020. He was born on May 31, 1927, in La Cygne, Kan., the son of Charles William and Grace Isabell Frakes Atwood. He graduated from La Cygne High School in the class of 1945.
Bill proudly served his country in the United States Navy during both World War II and the Korean War. He was united in marriage to Rose Mary Hayes on Aug. 23, 1953, in La Cygne. Bill graduated from Kansas State University with a bachelor’s degree in animal husbandry. He continued to be a big K-State supporter.
Bill’s number one priority was his family. He supported the boys in their many activities. He had a passion for American agriculture. He was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church, Drexel VFW and a 71-year member of the Masonic Lodge, beginning at La Cygne and transferring to Parker. He was a past member of the Mirza Shrine and the Scottish Rite Consistory. Bill was a civic-minded man who served his community in many capacities including: school board, phone board, Farm Bureau, township board, water board, Co-op and a 4-H leader.
He was preceded in death by his parents and an infant brother. Bill is survived by his wife, Rose Mary; three sons, Daryl Atwood and wife Nancy, Joe Atwood and wife Vicki, and Bruce Atwood and wife Robyn; and five grandchildren, Tyler, Chad, Jessi, Hanna and Ryan.
Graveside service was Saturday, Aug. 1, 2020, at the Jingo Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the Shriner Children’s Hospital or Prairie View FFA, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, Kan. 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
Possible April vote would make nepotism additions A vote may occur next month on broadening a Unified School District 362 nepotism policy as urged by its superintendent. At the monthly board of education meeting earlier this month, Rex Bollinger, Ed.D., laid out... [More]
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
- Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com