Linn County News
Published Aug. 5, 2020
Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr., age 93, passed away on July 29, 2020. He was born on May 31, 1927, in La Cygne, Kan., the son of Charles William and Grace Isabell Frakes Atwood. He graduated from La Cygne High School in the class of 1945.
Bill proudly served his country in the United States Navy during both World War II and the Korean War. He was united in marriage to Rose Mary Hayes on Aug. 23, 1953, in La Cygne. Bill graduated from Kansas State University with a bachelor’s degree in animal husbandry. He continued to be a big K-State supporter.
Bill’s number one priority was his family. He supported the boys in their many activities. He had a passion for American agriculture. He was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church, Drexel VFW and a 71-year member of the Masonic Lodge, beginning at La Cygne and transferring to Parker. He was a past member of the Mirza Shrine and the Scottish Rite Consistory. Bill was a civic-minded man who served his community in many capacities including: school board, phone board, Farm Bureau, township board, water board, Co-op and a 4-H leader.
He was preceded in death by his parents and an infant brother. Bill is survived by his wife, Rose Mary; three sons, Daryl Atwood and wife Nancy, Joe Atwood and wife Vicki, and Bruce Atwood and wife Robyn; and five grandchildren, Tyler, Chad, Jessi, Hanna and Ryan.
Graveside service was Saturday, Aug. 1, 2020, at the Jingo Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the Shriner Children’s Hospital or Prairie View FFA, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, Kan. 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 John William Frazee, age 90, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. He was born on March 1, 1930, in Hickman Mills, Mo., the son of John M. and Beulah M. Tull Frazee. He worked as a very accomplished... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 Shirley Naoma Bennett 85, of Bolivar, Mo., peacefully passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021, at CMH in Bolivar, Mo. She leaves behind her husband of 60 years, John W. Bennett; three children, Gary R. Bennett (Paula) of... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 Wayne Dean Clay, age 69, DeSoto, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021. Graveside funeral service will be 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 23, at the Pleasanton Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 1 p.m. until... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
- Adelaide Helen Greene 10-22-1942 to 07-28-2020
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) plans to start work on a sidewalk project at Pleasanton on Tuesday, Jan. 19, weather permitting. New sidewalks will be constructed at the following locations: *Ash Street, from 15th Street north to West 10th Street. *West 10th... [More]
Says his position is part-time; hires paralegal Newly elected County Attorney Burton Harding told commissioners it had been a “whirlwind first week,” and noted that with over 200 cases set for this week alone he is working on clearing up some of the load.... [More]
The Silver Haired Legislature elections will be held on March 17, 2021. Linn County currently has no representative. The East Central Kansas Area Agency on Aging is seeking individuals who are age 60 and over in Linn County to run for this position. Information on the role and... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
The Jayhawk wrestling team traveled to Uniontown on Jan. 12 to compete in a six team dual for the Three Rivers League championship. The six teams involved in the dual were Three Rivers’ members Jayhawk-Linn, Southeast Cherokee and Uniontown. The three other teams Burden... [More]
The Pleasanton girls’ basketball team traveled to Jayhawk-Linn on Jan. 12 to face the Lady Hawks in league competition. Both teams battled in a low scoring game but it was the Lady Jays who came out on top, 32-25. The game started with Pleasanton having an 11-4 first... [More]
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming
- 2020 Linn County Fair and Rodeo queen candidates