Linn County News
Published Aug. 5, 2020
Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr., age 93, passed away on July 29, 2020. He was born on May 31, 1927, in La Cygne, Kan., the son of Charles William and Grace Isabell Frakes Atwood. He graduated from La Cygne High School in the class of 1945.
Bill proudly served his country in the United States Navy during both World War II and the Korean War. He was united in marriage to Rose Mary Hayes on Aug. 23, 1953, in La Cygne. Bill graduated from Kansas State University with a bachelor’s degree in animal husbandry. He continued to be a big K-State supporter.
Bill’s number one priority was his family. He supported the boys in their many activities. He had a passion for American agriculture. He was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church, Drexel VFW and a 71-year member of the Masonic Lodge, beginning at La Cygne and transferring to Parker. He was a past member of the Mirza Shrine and the Scottish Rite Consistory. Bill was a civic-minded man who served his community in many capacities including: school board, phone board, Farm Bureau, township board, water board, Co-op and a 4-H leader.
He was preceded in death by his parents and an infant brother. Bill is survived by his wife, Rose Mary; three sons, Daryl Atwood and wife Nancy, Joe Atwood and wife Vicki, and Bruce Atwood and wife Robyn; and five grandchildren, Tyler, Chad, Jessi, Hanna and Ryan.
Graveside service was Saturday, Aug. 1, 2020, at the Jingo Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the Shriner Children’s Hospital or Prairie View FFA, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, Kan. 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 30, 2020 Jerry Allen Hines, age 74, of Foster, Mo., died Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020, at his home in Foster. He was born July 26, 1946, to Francis Eugene and Frances Edna Briscoe Hines in Foster. Jerry is survived by his... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 30, 2020 Mildred ”Millie” Louise Jurgens, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020, at the Olathe Medical Center Hospice House after a short battle with lymphoma. Millie was born to Clara Spurgeon... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 30, 2020 Joan Mulkey Lewis, age 94, formerly of Mildred, Kan., passed away on Friday, Sept. 25, 2020. She was born on June 26, 1926, in Bush City, Kan., the daughter of Ralph and Ina Mary Burlingham Mulkey. She graduated... [More]
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
- Adelaide Helen Greene 10-22-1942 to 07-28-2020
- Kade Tecumseh Kehl 06-25-2001 to 07-19-2020
- Marlyn Otis Sutterby 10-11-1936 to 07-27-2020
- Gary Dean Clearwater 03-07-1952 to 07-26-2020
A complaint was called into the Linn County Sheriff’s Department Monday after several Democratic candidate signs were taken from behind a barbed-wire fence on private property this weekend. Sheriff Kevin Friend said the party where the signs were stolen put them up Saturday,... [More]
After 53 years of service on the State Board of Education and a total of more than 60 years in education, Dale Dennis retired effective Sept. 30. Dennis was born and raised in the Linn County area, graduating from Blue Mound High School before attending Pittsburg... [More]
Following the submission of a new contract from ambulance service provider American Medical Response (AMR), the County Commissioners at their Monday regular meeting approved the five-year contract, 3-0, with a word from Commissioner Rick James that he appreciated AMR coming in... [More]
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
- SPECIAL: ORDER of the Linn County Public Health Officer
The Pleasanton cross country team is small and the majority of the team is junior high, but the Blu-Jays did well in the Ramsey Invitational at Prairie View on Sept. 24. The Jays had three runners in the seventh grade boys’ two mile race. Gage McGinnis led the... [More]
The Jayhawk football team was originally scheduled to play a district contest against Wellsville on Sept. 25 but the Eagles had to cancel due to COVID and for a while it looked as the Hawks would go two weeks without a football game. Their game was cancelled the week before with... [More]
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming
- 2020 Linn County Fair and Rodeo queen candidates
- This week in baseball history: June 24-30
- Several local boys’ baseball players compete on USSSA Rage teams out of Garnett
- The Chiefs’ off-season: the draft
- The Lost Season: Pleasanton track
- The Lost Season: Prairie View baseball
- 2019-2020 All County girls’ basketball team