Edna Maxine Swogar
06-30-1926 to 07-21-2019
Linn County News
Published July 31, 2019
Edna Maxine Swogar, 93, of Pittsburg, Kan., died on Sunday, July 21, 2019, at the Comfort Care Home in Pittsburg. She was born June 30, 1926, at Colorado Springs, Colo., the daughter of Warren and Alice Schrieve Smith.
Edna worked as a licensed practical nurse in long-term care for many years. At the age of 59 she decided to go back to college, where she attended the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla., and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Mortuary Science. She was a licensed funeral director and embalmer in Kansas. She was raised in Colorado Springs and graduated from Colorado Springs High School.
She also enjoyed teaching at the adult education center. Her hobbies included bowling, going to the casinos, and playing board games and cards with family and friends.
She married Melvin “Bud” Everett Swogar on July 5, 1952, at Colorado Springs. He preceded her in death on April 7, 1985.
She was a member of the Victory Life Church in Pittsburg. She served in the Air Force National Guard as a lieutenant during World War II.
Survivors include five daughters, Dora (Ron) Ware, Pittsburg, Vickie (Randy) Heitz, Cherokee, Patty (Randy) Page, Blue Mound, Carolyn (Bill) Compton, Chanute, and Karen Shields, Jacksonville, Fla.; two sons, Warren Swogar, Texas, and Ronnie (Vivian) Swogar of Opie; two sisters, Alice (Ray) Adamscheck, Colorado Springs, and Betty (Bill) Hathaway, Pittsburg; and many grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Bud; daughters Connie Swogar and Kathleen Zdziemborski; three brothers, Warren, Richard and Robert Smith; a sister, Arlene Smith; granddaughters Maxine Eubanks and Janet Mitchell; and great grandson Darren Bright.
Funeral services were scheduled at 10 a.m., Thursday, July 25, 2019, at the Bedene Funeral Home in Arma, Kan., with Pastor Donnie Talent officiating, with burial at the Elm Grove Cemetery in Cadmus, Kan. The family was to receive friends from 6-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Bedene Chapel at Arma.
The family suggests memorials to the Victory Life church in Pittsburg. Donations may be sent to or left at the Bedene Funeral Home, 517 E. Washington, Box 621, Arma, KS 66712.
Linn County News Published July 6, 2022 Leslie (Les) Eugene Krull, 85, of Berryton, died Wednesday, June 29, 2022, at Prairie Winds Senior Living, in Berryton, Kan. He was born June 9, 1937, to Eugene and Roberta “Pauline” (Townsley) Krull at home in Mound City,... [More]
Linn County News Published July 6, 2022 Patrick Wayne Marmon, age 79, Paola, Kan., passed away Wednesday, June 8, 2022. He was born in La Cygne, Kan., on Aug. 26, 1942, the son of Harry and Mamie Wilderson Marmon. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the... [More]
Linn County News Published June 29, 2022 Ruth E. Robinson, 100, of Ottawa, formerly of Blue Mound, went to be with the Lord on Saturday, June 25, 2022. Ruth was born on Jan. 17, 1922, to Oscar and Lula (Wray) Dodson at Blanchard, Ok. When she was very young her family moved... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
The City of Mound City is holding a grand opening for the new Splash Park this Saturday, July 9. The Splash Park is located just north of the sports complex on Nickell Road and offers kids of all ages a place to cool off and have some fun. There will be food, Dippin’... [More]
The community of La Cygne will hold their Swanfest and Blast in the Park celebration on Saturday July 9, from 6-9 p.m. in the City Park on south end of town. The event will feature food trucks, craft vendors, a cake walk hosted by the Park Board, along with kids’ activities... [More]
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The MFA Oil Foundation has awarded a grant to the Friends of the Library District 2 of Linn County – La Cygne to assist with purchasing reusable lunch containers. The MFA Oil Foundation provides support to nonprofit organizations that are working to... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The weather is hot right now but find a spot with some good shade or a nice breeze, and the fishing can be, too. Here are some of the recent fishing reports from KDWP in Linn County. All the reports were last updated on June 27. La Cygne Lake Fishing at La Cygne Lake looks... [More]
Jayhawk has new classification change for 2022 football BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS email@example.com High school football season will be here soon and as for one of Linn County’s high school football teams there will be a change to classification. Jayhawk-Linn... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org