Edna Maxine Swogar
06-30-1926 to 07-21-2019
Linn County News
Published July 31, 2019
Edna Maxine Swogar, 93, of Pittsburg, Kan., died on Sunday, July 21, 2019, at the Comfort Care Home in Pittsburg. She was born June 30, 1926, at Colorado Springs, Colo., the daughter of Warren and Alice Schrieve Smith.
Edna worked as a licensed practical nurse in long-term care for many years. At the age of 59 she decided to go back to college, where she attended the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla., and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Mortuary Science. She was a licensed funeral director and embalmer in Kansas. She was raised in Colorado Springs and graduated from Colorado Springs High School.
She also enjoyed teaching at the adult education center. Her hobbies included bowling, going to the casinos, and playing board games and cards with family and friends.
She married Melvin “Bud” Everett Swogar on July 5, 1952, at Colorado Springs. He preceded her in death on April 7, 1985.
She was a member of the Victory Life Church in Pittsburg. She served in the Air Force National Guard as a lieutenant during World War II.
Survivors include five daughters, Dora (Ron) Ware, Pittsburg, Vickie (Randy) Heitz, Cherokee, Patty (Randy) Page, Blue Mound, Carolyn (Bill) Compton, Chanute, and Karen Shields, Jacksonville, Fla.; two sons, Warren Swogar, Texas, and Ronnie (Vivian) Swogar of Opie; two sisters, Alice (Ray) Adamscheck, Colorado Springs, and Betty (Bill) Hathaway, Pittsburg; and many grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Bud; daughters Connie Swogar and Kathleen Zdziemborski; three brothers, Warren, Richard and Robert Smith; a sister, Arlene Smith; granddaughters Maxine Eubanks and Janet Mitchell; and great grandson Darren Bright.
Funeral services were scheduled at 10 a.m., Thursday, July 25, 2019, at the Bedene Funeral Home in Arma, Kan., with Pastor Donnie Talent officiating, with burial at the Elm Grove Cemetery in Cadmus, Kan. The family was to receive friends from 6-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Bedene Chapel at Arma.
The family suggests memorials to the Victory Life church in Pittsburg. Donations may be sent to or left at the Bedene Funeral Home, 517 E. Washington, Box 621, Arma, KS 66712.
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
- Richard Scott Craig 10-30-1945 to 02-17-2020
- Jerome Vernon “Jerry” Morgan 05-09-1941 to 01-31-2020
- Robert Dale Pennington 07-18-1937 to 02-16-2020
- David Earl Cummings 09-08-1953 to 02-13-2020
- Sidney A. McKnight Jr. 12-20-1940 to 12-16-2019
- Robert Dale Avery 12-26-1931 to 02-11-2020
- Robert Dean “Bob” King 08-23-1934 to 02-12-2020
- Richard Butts 06-04-1935 to 02-05-2020
At issue is access authority at scrapyard site Parker city leaders tabled a question of roadway authority and access at the council’s monthly meeting last Thursday. At question is the non-platted South Walnut Street south of South Street that... [More]
County discusses other departments needing the software After a long discussion last week that the County Commissioners wanted to see County Attorney James Brun in the county more, he told them this week that he is purchasing Westlaw, an online legal... [More]
Grade 8-12 offerings will enable more certifications, gain extra funding Numerous courses, mainly at Prairie View High, will be renamed or initiated in action taken by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their Feb. 10 monthly meeting.... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Pleasanton basketball teams hosted their Senior-Parent Night against Oswego on Feb. 11. It was a good night for the Jays as both the boys and girls won their respective games. The girls won 34-24 while the boys won their game 69-47. The girls’ game... [More]
The Prairie View girls’ wrestling team traveled to Paola on Feb. 14-15 to compete in the East Regional to determine who would go to the girls’ State Tournament in Salina on Feb. 27. The Buffalos took five wrestlers to the tournament, and two of... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track