Linn County News
Published Sept. 27, 2017
Jane Evelyn (Hayden) Kelley, age 88, of Mound City, Kan., died Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, at Prescott Country View Nursing Home in Prescott, Kan. She was born Nov. 2, 1928, to Augustus William Hayden and Victoria Friedel (Hinkle) Hayden in Los Angeles, Calif., the middle of three sisters.
Her family home was a half block from the beach at Santa Monica. She grew up with a love of the ocean and learned to swim at an early age.
She met her future husband, Don Kelley, on a blind date at a beach party on Malibu Beach in 1946. In July 1947 she accepted his marriage proposal and in February of 1948 she rode a train to New Orleans. They were married the next day in Biloxi, Miss., where Don was stationed with the U.S. Air Force.
They went on to have two daughters, and the family traveled extensively during his 21-year Air Force career. Don and Jane settled in Mound City in 1975.
While living in Mound City, Jane was employed as both Extension Office and Linn County Fair secretary. The highlight of her employment as fair secretary was meeting Garth Brooks.
She was a longtime member of Mound City United Methodist Church and she loved dancing with the Country Ramblers Square Dance Club. Before her health began to deteriorate, she was active in the Eastern Star, holding a Grand Office in 1995.
Jane will be remembered for her kind heart and sweet demeanor. She took great pride in her family members’ accomplishments, especially Don’s military achievements. She was extremely proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, always ready with a picture to share.
Jane is survived by Don, her husband of 69 years, Mound City; daughters Linda Friedman (Bill Peters), Mapleton, and Donna Parker (Rick), Mound City; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She is also survived by several brothers and sisters-in-law as well as many nieces and nephews, all of whom she loved dearly.
She was preceded in death by her parents and sisters, son-in-law Wes Friedman and great-granddaughter Kelley Tupin.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Mound City United Methodist Church. Visitation will be held 10 a.m. to service time. Memorial contributions may be made to the church.
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Robert W. VanWinkle, age 83, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Friday, Dec. 1, 2023. A service to celebrate Bob’s life will be announced at a later date. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. ... [More]
Linn County News Published December 6, 2023 Jolene Moriconi, 87, of Lawrence, Kan., formerly of Paola, Kan., and Frontenac, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2023, at home surrounded by family. She was born May 24, 1936, in Frontenac, Kan., the daughter of... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 6, 2023 Perle David Patrick Jr., age 67, Osawatomie, Kan., passed away Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023. Funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
- Larry Wayne Miller ~ 01-21-1958 to 11-06-2023
- Vernon Earl McGee ~ 10-07-1945 to 11-07-2023
- Vicki A. Capp ~ 08-08-1954 to 11-06-2023
- Marcia D. Mathes ~ 03-31-1947 to 11-09-2023
- Joyce Elaine Hewitt (née Terry) ~ 03-26-1941 to 11-01-2023
- Edward Lee “Butch” Samyn ~ 11-28-1947 to 11-07-2023
- Gary John Hald ~ 01-19-1946 to 11-02-2023
- Neal DeWayne Peterson ~ 03-05-1946 to 10-03-2023
During the weekly meeting of the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, Dec. 4, Rich Morrell and Charlene Sims with the Linn County Planning Commission each addressed the commissioners in regard to the moratorium and the request to create a committee to work on Section 14. ... [More]
Linn County Clerk David Lamb presented the commissioners with documents to be signed by the commission chair during their weekly meeting on Monday, Dec. 4, in regard to the bond sale last Wednesday to refinance a portion of the original bond for the jail project. Lamb... [More]
Linn County Public Works Director Shaun West noted he had reached out to the fiber installers south of the power plant in reference to questions the commissioners had concerning undone road work. West stated he learned the connection comes into the project from the west and moves... [More]
- Commissioners approve resolution on one-year moratorium on commercial solar farms
- USD 362 to seek more 4-day week info
- Commissioners approve resolution for bond refinance
- Commissioners vote 2-1 for one year moratorium on solar farms
- Linn County Planning and Zoning meeting leads to moratorium request for Commissioners
- Kansas Senator speaks on ills of green energy
- Election canvass held Nov. 20, abstract approved
- Thanksgiving events
The Pleasanton basketball team hosted their home opener against Kansas City Christian (KCC) on Dec. 1. The Jays split the varsity games with the girls falling in their game 20-29 and the boys winning big in their game, 78-44. The girls’ game started well as the Lady... [More]
Sophomore Brea Dawson scored 12 of her game-high 18 points in the fourth quarter, paving the way for Jayhawk Linn’s girls to claim a 43-38 season-opening win at Cass-Midway, Mo., Friday night. Despite a game-high 23 points from junior Braeden Nation, the ‘Hawk boys... [More]
- Prairie View wrestling competes at Steve Leslie Invitational
- 2023 All Linn County high school football team
- Miami teams split season openers
- Jayhawk and Pleasanton football are well represented in the 2023 TRL All League
- Prairie View football has seven players make Pioneer All League
- Prairie View football ends season against Parsons
- Jayhawk 8-2 season mirrors 2022 campaign
- Prairie View routs Baxter Springs in first round of the playoffs
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org