Linn County News
Published Sept. 27, 2017
Jane Evelyn (Hayden) Kelley, age 88, of Mound City, Kan., died Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, at Prescott Country View Nursing Home in Prescott, Kan. She was born Nov. 2, 1928, to Augustus William Hayden and Victoria Friedel (Hinkle) Hayden in Los Angeles, Calif., the middle of three sisters.
Her family home was a half block from the beach at Santa Monica. She grew up with a love of the ocean and learned to swim at an early age.
She met her future husband, Don Kelley, on a blind date at a beach party on Malibu Beach in 1946. In July 1947 she accepted his marriage proposal and in February of 1948 she rode a train to New Orleans. They were married the next day in Biloxi, Miss., where Don was stationed with the U.S. Air Force.
They went on to have two daughters, and the family traveled extensively during his 21-year Air Force career. Don and Jane settled in Mound City in 1975.
While living in Mound City, Jane was employed as both Extension Office and Linn County Fair secretary. The highlight of her employment as fair secretary was meeting Garth Brooks.
She was a longtime member of Mound City United Methodist Church and she loved dancing with the Country Ramblers Square Dance Club. Before her health began to deteriorate, she was active in the Eastern Star, holding a Grand Office in 1995.
Jane will be remembered for her kind heart and sweet demeanor. She took great pride in her family members’ accomplishments, especially Don’s military achievements. She was extremely proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, always ready with a picture to share.
Jane is survived by Don, her husband of 69 years, Mound City; daughters Linda Friedman (Bill Peters), Mapleton, and Donna Parker (Rick), Mound City; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She is also survived by several brothers and sisters-in-law as well as many nieces and nephews, all of whom she loved dearly.
She was preceded in death by her parents and sisters, son-in-law Wes Friedman and great-granddaughter Kelley Tupin.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Mound City United Methodist Church. Visitation will be held 10 a.m. to service time. Memorial contributions may be made to the church.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com