Linn County News
Published Sept. 27, 2017
Jane Evelyn (Hayden) Kelley, age 88, of Mound City, Kan., died Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, at Prescott Country View Nursing Home in Prescott, Kan. She was born Nov. 2, 1928, to Augustus William Hayden and Victoria Friedel (Hinkle) Hayden in Los Angeles, Calif., the middle of three sisters.
Her family home was a half block from the beach at Santa Monica. She grew up with a love of the ocean and learned to swim at an early age.
She met her future husband, Don Kelley, on a blind date at a beach party on Malibu Beach in 1946. In July 1947 she accepted his marriage proposal and in February of 1948 she rode a train to New Orleans. They were married the next day in Biloxi, Miss., where Don was stationed with the U.S. Air Force.
They went on to have two daughters, and the family traveled extensively during his 21-year Air Force career. Don and Jane settled in Mound City in 1975.
While living in Mound City, Jane was employed as both Extension Office and Linn County Fair secretary. The highlight of her employment as fair secretary was meeting Garth Brooks.
She was a longtime member of Mound City United Methodist Church and she loved dancing with the Country Ramblers Square Dance Club. Before her health began to deteriorate, she was active in the Eastern Star, holding a Grand Office in 1995.
Jane will be remembered for her kind heart and sweet demeanor. She took great pride in her family members’ accomplishments, especially Don’s military achievements. She was extremely proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, always ready with a picture to share.
Jane is survived by Don, her husband of 69 years, Mound City; daughters Linda Friedman (Bill Peters), Mapleton, and Donna Parker (Rick), Mound City; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She is also survived by several brothers and sisters-in-law as well as many nieces and nephews, all of whom she loved dearly.
She was preceded in death by her parents and sisters, son-in-law Wes Friedman and great-granddaughter Kelley Tupin.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Mound City United Methodist Church. Visitation will be held 10 a.m. to service time. Memorial contributions may be made to the church.
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Anna Mae Carrel, 98, Nevada, Mo., passed away on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022, at Menorah Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Anna was born Nov. 4, 1924, in Mound City, Kan., to Fred M. and Mary C. (Hollister) Smith. She was united in... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Kathryn Elaine "Kathy" Newcome passed away Thursday Dec. 1, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 5, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial in the Richland Cemetery. Visitation will... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Linda S. Rios, age 63, of Mound City, Kan., passed away in Olathe, Kan., on Nov. 14, 2022. There are no services scheduled. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfuneral.com.
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
NOTICE: There will be a blood drive at the Catholic Hall in Mound City from 1 to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 13
In a sentencing hearing set for Friday, Dec. 2, Robert Woody III appeared in Linn County District Court in front of Judge Andrea Purvis, but instead of sentencing being handed down, the defense requested a continuance. Defense counsel Craig Cole noted his client had just brought... [More]
Discussions at Monday’s Linn County Commissioner’s meeting turned to the landfill issue and the fact that, as it currently sits, the landfill is only a year and half out from closing. During Monday’s discussions, Linn County Public Works Administrator Shaun... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View wrestling team traveled to Pleasant Hill on Dec. 2 and 3 to compete in the Steve Leslie Invitational. The boys’ team had three wrestlers place in the top four while the girls’ team had two wrestlers place in the top four. Kimmy Eastwood wrestled... [More]
Pleasanton basketball teams began their season Friday with a split varsity decision at Prairie Village-Kansas City Christian (KCC), the girls winning 39-19 while the boys took a 60-31 loss. Both teams now have two games upcoming at this week’s early-season round-robin... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com