Lanny A. Roedel, 65, of Joplin, Mo., died peacefully in his sleep on Veterans Day, Nov.11, 2014 after a long illness.
Lanny was a retired union carpenter of Local 311 in Joplin.
He served as a Lance Corporal with the 9th Marine Division in Vietnam, which was instrumental in Operation Dewey Canyon.
He held a black belt in Chinese Kenpo and a brown belt in Shotokan Kenpo karate. He was a martial arts instructor for many years, leading his family to earn more than 300 trophies in martial arts tournaments across the Midwest in the 1980s. Lanny was a giving man with a sense of humor and a love of hunting, fishing and riding motorcycles.
He is survived by his six children, Rhonda Martin of St. Peters, Mo., Carol Gossett of Pittsburg, Kan., Kenny Roedel of Frontenac, Kan., Darren Roedel of Mound City, Kan., Tonya Kenworthy and Rex Davis, both of Flushing, Mich.; his brother, Richard Roedel of Naples, Fla.; his sister, Debbie Roedel Ling Hodge of Spring Hill, Kan.; as well as 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Lanny was preceded in death by his parents, Kennett Roedel and Lorene Barger Roedel; and two brothers, Leroy Roedel and Roland Roedel.
Lanny has left a legacy of hope for those he has given to, even when he had little to give. His smile will remain one of our fondest memories. May God bless those who gave him joy in life, and may He bring this beloved son, brother, father, grandfather and friend eternal peace. Semper Fi.
Funeral services were Friday, Nov. 14, 2014, at the Friskel Funeral Home, with Pastor Joe Perkins officiating. Burial followed in the Fort Scott National Cemetery. Condolences may be left at www.friskelfuneralhome.com. Memorials may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project; these may be left at or mailed to the funeral home. Services by Friskel Funeral Home 230 E. McKay, Frontenac, KS 66763.
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Randall "Randy" James Rogers, age 72, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023. Funeral service will be 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Amanda Locke Johnson passed away on Oct. 21, 2022, at her home in Blue Mound, Kan. A memorial service is planned for Jan. 28, 2023, at the Blue Mound Federated Church with visitation to be held from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.... [More]
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Freeda Belle Brady, age 88, Osawatomie, Kan., formerly of La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday Jan. 18, 2023. Mass of Christian Burial will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, at Our Lady of Lourdes... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Seniors say they do not want to move The Pleasanton Senior Meals site has been an ongoing topic of discussion in both the Linn County Commissioners and Pleasanton City Council meetings for several months now with no resolution to the issue in sight. The topic first... [More]
On Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023, the Linn Valley Police Department took a burglary report in the area of Holiday Drive in Linn Valley. The victim reported his garage had been broken into and several items were stolen that included a 2020 Harley Davidson motorcycle, tools, household... [More]
Anyone that travels across Kansas from time to time may have witnessed bicycles traveling west to east along busy routes or desolate routes; riders were most likely entered into the Biking Across Kansas (BAK) event held once a year. It begins at various points on the west side... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View girls’ basketball team traveled to Uniontown on Jan. 17, 19 and 20 to compete in the Kenny Holt Memorial Tournament. The Lady Buffs performed well in the tournament and went 3-0 to become the tournament champions. Prairie View first faced Jayhawk on... [More]
The Pleasanton boys’ and girls’ basketball teams hosted their Midseason Basketball Tournament Jan. 17-20. The boys went 0-3 in the tournament but the girls won the tournament going 3-0. Pleasanton first played Northeast Kansas and the Lady Jays won a defensive... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com