Lorraine Bruner Wilcox, 84, of Paola, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 11, 2014 at her home.
Born Jan. 6, 1930, in Fort Scott, Kan., the daughter of Walter Eberlee and Agnes Mackie Bruner, Lorraine grew up near Mapleton, Kan., graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1947, and in December of 1947, graduated from Templeton School of Cosmetology.
On June 5, 1949, Lorraine was united in marriage to W.H. Wilcox Jr. They made their home on a farm near Blue Mound, Kan., and were blessed with three children. In 1957, the family moved to Paola, Kan., where Lorraine would come to own and operate the LaRose Beauty Salon until she retired in 1985. She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Paola, Kan.
Lorraine was preceded in death by her parents, Walter and Agnes Bruner; two sisters, Mary Josephine Bruner, Pauline Badders; and one brother, Virgil Bruner; and most recently her twin sister, Leora Ross on Sept. 9, 2014.
She is survived by her husband, W.H Wilcox Jr. of the home; three children, Ken Wilcox of Houston, Texas, Bill Wilcox (Colleen) of Olathe, Kan., and Rosemary Watson (Charlie) of Blue Mound, Kan.; 10 grandchildren and their families; three sisters, Venita Miller of Kincaid, Kan., Shirley Ball of Garnett, Kan., and Marilyn Bruner of Fort Scott, Kan.; sister-in-law, Freda Bruner of Mound City, Kan.; two brothers, Willard Bruner and wife Darla, and Joe Bruner, all of Fort Scott, Kan.; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral service was held Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014, at Penwell-Gabel Funeral Home, 305, N. Pearl St., Paola, Kan. Burial was in Blue Mound Cemetery, Blue Mound, Kan.
It was Lorraine’s request that memorials be made to Autism Speaks or St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
To leave a special message for the family online, please visit www.PenwellGabelPaola.com. Penwell-Gabel Paola Chapel, 305 N. Pearl St., Paola, KS 66071, (913) 294-2372.
Check out this week's edition of the Linn County News or check out the online edition here.
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Merle A. Beckman, age 86, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022. He was born in rural La Cygne, Kan., on Oct. 5, 1935, the son of Charles and Neeva (Neal) Beckman. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Mary Jo Spencer, age 83, of Mound City, Kan., passed away on Aug. 6, 2022, at Louisburg Healthcare, Louisburg, Kan. She was born Nov. 13, 1938, in Terrell, Texas, to James Downing and Claudie Flower. Mary Jo moved to Lubbock, Texas,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Larry Sumners, age 68, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at the Overland Park Regional Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Laurence A. Sumners was born on Aug. 16, 1953, at McPherson,... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
What was a dream a year ago has come to fruition with a ribbon cutting and open house scheduled for Friday, Aug. 12 at 10 a.m. The Southeastern Technical Academy for Rural Students (STARS) is now a reality located in the former Cox Motor Company building at Laurel and 17th Streets... [More]
With the ribbon cutting and open house of the new STARS Technical Academy in Pleasanton slated for Friday, Aug. 12, the staff and instructors at the school opened up recently about their roles and what the program means to them. Phil Mitchell, who will be teaching Construction... [More]
After sending the Linn County Commissioners an email explaining county real estate compliance with state values, the commissioners visited with Linn County Appraiser Kathy Bridges Monday. After initial conversation on the 2021 final ratio study concerning commercial and residential... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Fair and Rodeo started this past week with the traditional demolition derby. There were two nights of demo derby action as team derby, modified and figure eight races took place on Aug. 5 while the compact, semi-modified and bone stock took place on the evening... [More]
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com