Mary Louise Smith, 94, of Baldwin City, Kan., formerly of Blue Mound, died at 12 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at ComfortCare Homes in Baldwin City.
Mary was born Aug. 23, 1920 in Montreal, Mo. to Edgar Harrison and Ruth Ellen (Clarke) Smith. Mary moved to Blue Mound as a child and graduated from Blue Mound High School with the Class of 1938. Mary attended two years of business school in Springfield, Mo.
On Nov. 16, 1943, Mary enlisted in the United States Coast Guard and served her country in the waters off the Texas, Louisiana, and Florida coast until she was honorably discharged April 10, 1946.
Mary continued working for her country as an executive secretary with the General Services Administration. She retired 1978, after 37 years, with a meritorious service award. Mary joined the Mapleton Red Hat Society when she returned to the area after retirement.
Mary was preceded in death by her parents and two brothers, James W. and Jean C. Smith. Survivors include her sisters-in-law, Jacquie Smith of Lenexa, Kan. and Joanne Smith of Ottawa, Kan.; seven nieces and nephews, Sharon McFarland of Lenexa, Pam Smith of Plainfield, Ill., Ed Smith of Ottawa, Jodi Smith of Ottawa, Cathy Pope of Springhill, Kan., Tim Smith of Paola, Kan., and Sue Angermayer of Pittsburg, Kan.
A funeral service was held Monday, June 29, 2015 at Schneider Funeral Home & Crematory Mound City Chapel. Burial followed in Mapleton Cemetery, Mapleton, Kan.
The family suggests memorials to Comfort Care Homes of Baldwin City or Prairie Paws of Ottawa. Donations may be sent in care of the funeral home to Schneider Funeral Home & Crematory, P.O. Box J, Mound City, Kansas 66056. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home & Crematory Mound City Chapel.
Friends and family may leave on line condolences at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Merle A. Beckman, age 86, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022. He was born in rural La Cygne, Kan., on Oct. 5, 1935, the son of Charles and Neeva (Neal) Beckman. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Mary Jo Spencer, age 83, of Mound City, Kan., passed away on Aug. 6, 2022, at Louisburg Healthcare, Louisburg, Kan. She was born Nov. 13, 1938, in Terrell, Texas, to James Downing and Claudie Flower. Mary Jo moved to Lubbock, Texas,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Larry Sumners, age 68, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at the Overland Park Regional Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Laurence A. Sumners was born on Aug. 16, 1953, at McPherson,... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
What was a dream a year ago has come to fruition with a ribbon cutting and open house scheduled for Friday, Aug. 12 at 10 a.m. The Southeastern Technical Academy for Rural Students (STARS) is now a reality located in the former Cox Motor Company building at Laurel and 17th Streets... [More]
With the ribbon cutting and open house of the new STARS Technical Academy in Pleasanton slated for Friday, Aug. 12, the staff and instructors at the school opened up recently about their roles and what the program means to them. Phil Mitchell, who will be teaching Construction... [More]
After sending the Linn County Commissioners an email explaining county real estate compliance with state values, the commissioners visited with Linn County Appraiser Kathy Bridges Monday. After initial conversation on the 2021 final ratio study concerning commercial and residential... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Fair and Rodeo started this past week with the traditional demolition derby. There were two nights of demo derby action as team derby, modified and figure eight races took place on Aug. 5 while the compact, semi-modified and bone stock took place on the evening... [More]
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com