Linn County News
Published May 6, 2020
Mary Sue (Kepner) Fountain, formerly of Linn County, Kan., passed away on April 18, 2020, at Bridge Haven Memory Care. She was 85 years old. Mary Sue, the oldest child and daughter of Mary Lena (Hall) and Glenn Sterling Kepner, was born May 26, 1934, in Bogard Township east of Urich, Mo. on the family farm.
Mary Sue graduated from Urich High School in 1952, valedictorian of her class. She married Frederick Bradfield Fountain on October 26, 1956. In 1966, they purchased a farm near Mound City, Kan., where Mary Sue lived until 2018.
Mary Sue was always trying new things, and her friends and family benefited from her cooking, sewing and crafts. She was quick to laughter and it was easy to strike up a conversation with her. She spent time gardening, collecting African violets and bird watching. She was an avid reader and also enjoying researching family history. Mary Sue and Fred loved to travel, often attending Native American pow-wows and returning with jewelry, art and pottery from the artisans they met.
Late in life, Mary Sue became one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and enjoyed meeting people and sharing information from the Bible with them.
Mary Sue is survived by her children, Susan Ross, Brad Fountain (Corina), Leanne TeKolste (Toby), and Paul Fountain (Vicki); nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her sisters, Jean Overbey and Margaret Kerns. Mary Sue was preceded in death by her parents, her husband Fred; her son David Fountain; and her brother Sterling Kepner.
Memorials may be made to Alzheimer’s Association (www.alz.org) or Avalon Hospice (www.avalon-hospice.com).
Interment and a celebration of Mary Sue’s life will be held at a later date.
Linn County News Published April , 2020 Howard "Carl" Francis, age 87, Blue Mound, Kan. passed away on Thursday, March 26, 2020. He was born on May 7, 1932 in Blue Mound, Kan. the son of Lonnie and Vesta Hopewell Francis. He graduated from... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020 Margaret Alice Wilson, age 87, Paola, Kan. passed away on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020. She was born on February 15, 1933 in Cass County, Mo. the daughter of Henry Earl(Ramey) Russell and Olive Darlene... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
- Linda Lee Ross 08-30-1941 to 05-28-2020
- Darlene McCoy 02-05-1929 to 05-27-2020
- Leslie Dell “L.D.” Murray 10-12-1926 to 05-25-2020
- Doris Louise (Dresker) Phillips 10-03-1922 to 05-15-2020
- Diane Jackson 02-13-1954 to 05-12-2020
- John Russell Baucom 09-04-1953 to 04-24-2020
- Harriet E. Stanley 12-27-1947 to 05-08-2020
- Nancy Doreen Brindle 02-26-1954 to 04-21-2020
Holding a special meeting Thursday, May 21, the County Commissioners discussed the Linn County Justice Center and the cost the construction management team River City Construction came up with after receiving electrical bids. After a large increase in electrical bids, the commissioners... [More]
The County Commission and the Local Health Officer of Linn County, Kan., were recently the defendants in a Federal Lawsuit initiated by two Linn County residents and the Kansas Justice Institute, a law firm heavily involved in seeking out publicity through taking on high... [More]
Allen resigns Public Health Officer position By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Following the lockdown of Linn County earlier in March due to COVID-19 and subsequent orders to continue the stay-at-home orders by the governor and local authorities... [More]
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
- SPECIAL: ORDER of the Linn County Public Health Officer
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
It is prime fishing time so let’s look at the KDWPT fishing reports for Linn County. La Cygne Reservoir Currently channel, blue and flathead catfishing is good at La Cygne. The fish are being caught on sunfish, cut shad, worms, prepared baits and livers.... [More]
The Lady Jays had a rough season last year and only won a couple of games. They were also eliminated in the first round of their regional tournament. However, this season the girls were hoping to make some improvements to put them in a better spot, but they did not get... [More]
- The Chiefs’ off-season: the draft
- The Lost Season: Pleasanton track
- The Lost Season: Prairie View baseball
- 2019-2020 All County girls’ basketball team
- Wellsville loss finishes Lady Buffs’ season
- Jayhawk boys fall just short to Yates Center in sub-state tournament
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club takes 10 wrestlers to State
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round