Melody Jean Troth, age 56, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Sunday, March 5, 2017, at her home. She was born on March 2, 1961, at Paola, Kan., the daughter of George and Bernita (McDonald) Ala.
She graduated from Prairie View High School in the Class of 1979.
She married Danny Troth on Aug. 25, 1979, at the La Cygne United Methodist Church.
Melody went to work shortly after graduation for United Telephone which was acquired by Sprint. She took an early retirement and retired from Sprint in 2007 so she could spend more time with her children, family and friends. While working for Sprint, she also helped in the family businesses of Troth Construction, Troth Cattle Co. and Troth Storage. She was most recently employed at Linn County Insurance.
Melody was involved in many organizations and gave willingly of her time. She was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church, serving as finance chairperson and sitting on the Administrative Board, and was a member of the church worship team. She was Worthy Matron of the Order of Eastern Star Chapter 311. She was on the La Harper Heights board of directors and secretary for the La Cygne Chamber of Commerce. She was a member of the Linn County 4-H Council and the Linn County 4-H Extension Council. Melody was very involved in the Linn County Fair. She wore many different hats: selling tickets, announcing livestock shows, and coordinating queen and idol contests, just to name a few things.
Melody loved her friends and her family even more. She enjoyed spending time with family and friends, helping others, water skiing, camping, relaxing at the lake and horseback riding.
She was preceded in death by her father George.
She is survived by her husband Danny; mother Bernita; son Jordan Troth and wife Michelle; daughter Caitlin Burton and husband Kurtis; brother Steven Ala and wife Jeannine; father-in-law Raimond Troth; a grandson and granddaughter who share the same due date in July; and a host of family and friends.
Visitation will be held 5- 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 8, 2017, at the Schneider Funeral Home Chapel in La Cygne. Funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, March 9, at the La Cygne United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to the La Cygne United Methodist Church or Neuro-Oncology Program at the University of Kansas. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel.
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Patsy Lucille Smith, age 59, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away peacefully in her home, surrounded by family Sunday, July 31, 2022. She was born on June 15, 1963, in Parsons, Kan., the daughter of George William (Bill) and Mary Jo (Jones)... [More]
Linn County News Published August 3, 2022 Fred Ahlemann, age 84, Overland Park, Kan., passed away Friday, July 29, 2022. Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022, at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Olathe, Kan. Graveside service will be 3 p.m. Saturday,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Janet L. Toms, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 27, 2022. She was born on May 25, 1953, in Paola, Kan., to Kenneth and Fontella Butler Stainbrook. She graduated from Prairie View High School and... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Following the governor’s recent approval of legislation created to show when taxing entities are increasing mill levies, additional costs to taxpayers are coming to the forefront, despite some holding taxes to the same level using revenue neutral rates. Kansaspolicy.org... [More]
Following opening statements at Monday’s Pleasanton City Council meeting, public speaker Mike Higgins took the podium and told the council that he was talking to former Olive’s Hope building owner Brandon McGinnis concerning the sale of the building to a family that... [More]
Two of the county departments geared toward public safety are now under new direction. Missy Lancaster took over the Linn County Health Department as well as the position of Public Health Officer in November of last year and has made a few changes to the department since... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
Fishing has slowed down since the last reports on June 27, but fish are still being caught and can be even better in the coming weeks with some cooler weather and more rain. All the reports were last updated on July 18. La Cygne Lake Catfish, largemouth and crappie are the... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org