William Jerome Jonas Jr. passed away Dec. 15, 2014, at his home at Fort Randall, S.D., surrounded by family. William was born May 8, 1938, to William Sr. and Lauretta (Kirwan) Jonas.
He grew up in Gregory, S.D., where he attended the Catholic School and Gregory High School. He graduated in 1956 and went on to attend the University of South Dakota at Vermillion, S.D.
He married Norma Jean Vedral Aug. 31, 1957. To this union four children were born: Danita, Denice, Julie and William III.
During the early years of their marriage William worked heavy construction and the family moved to Kansas City, Kan., Jasper, Texas, and Claremore, Okla. In 1969, the family moved to Pleasanton, Kan., where William and Norma started Landmark Surveying Co. and Jonas Vintage Auto.
In 1995, William and Norma moved to Fort Randall and took over operation of Jonas’ Eagle Roost Ranch. William enjoyed working on the ranch, restoring antique cars and spending time with his family and friends. He was very involved with youth deer hunting and had numerous youths come to the ranch for their first hunting experience.
He is survived by his children: Danita Snyder and husband Larry of Pleasanton, Kan., Denice Umbarger and husband Bruce of Pickstown, S.D., Julie Hartung and husband Dennis of Hutchinson, Kan., and William III of Independence, Mo.; and four grandchildren, Tristan Snyder, Darla Snyder, Bryce Hartung and Kenlee Jonas. Also surviving is one brother John Jonas and wife Wanda of Laurel, Neb., and their children Michael, Martin, Matthew and Cindy and their families.
He was preceded in death by his wife Norma (Vedral) and his parents William Sr. and Lauretta (Kirwan) Jonas.
Funeral services will be held Jan. 24, 2015, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Gregory, S.D., at 10 a.m. There will be a noon meal and fellowship immediately following at Mary Vale Hall.
Linn County News Published Aug. 11, 2021 Ellen Y. Brenner, age 70, Pleasanton, Kansas passed away Monday, August 2, 2021. A gathering to celebrate the life of Ellen Brenner will be announced at a later date. Online condolences... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 4, 2021 Lela Aleane Sharp, age 100, of Fontana, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 28, 2021, at her home. Funeral services were held Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2021, at Dengel and Son Mortuary, 305 N. Pearl St., Paola, Kan., 66071, with... [More]
Linn County News Published July 28, 2021 James Allen Johnson, age 72, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Saturday, July 24, 2021, at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., after a brief illness. Allen was born on July 7, 1949, at Moran, Kan.,... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Discussing that city employees were able to keep the pool open for the season, City Administrator Teresa Whitaker at the Pleasanton City Council’s Monday meeting said they think they’ve finally figured out that the problem at the pool is in the filter causing an air... [More]
Angel Cushing of the city of Allen, a concerned citizen, spoke before the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, Aug. 2, asking them to adopt a resolution that opts the county out of Freedom’s Frontier and the National Heritage Area. Cushing went on to explain that Senate... [More]
City to discount water bills by $30 this month Following what was described as an organized calling effort by the public to complain about brown water, the Pleasanton City Council addressed the problem and possible fixes at their meeting on Monday. City Superintendent Casey... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The 2020 Olympics in Tokyo is underway, and everyone is enjoying cheering on Team USA and watching sports they only watch once every four years. One of the primary things we do when engaged in the Olympics is keep track of the medal count. We want our country to have the most... [More]
Kyle Carstens, a Fontana native and 2006 Prairie View graduate, is ready to compete in the Linn County Fair and Rodeo’s Outlaw Truck & Tractor Pull taking place on the evening of Aug. 8. Carstens just recently started competing with tractors in pulling events but... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team